Eve Glover Anderson

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Eve Glover Anderson

#121 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:Excellent work RG!
Now if we could just find a copy of the Honolulu Advertiser to see a few pics of their wedding.
I've been searching since I found this yesterday! :shock:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:
Danno wrote:Lordy... you should all be nominated as honorary private eyes.... the research going on here is incredible.

Agreed! RG and others are bringing it to a new level. I feel like I am Luther H Gillis using old gum shoe tactics going after "Artie Canoe" while they already bagged him, are home relaxing and finishing up the book on "How to be a World Class Investigator".........
Thanks Danno & Steve! Now see, Susan Johnson isn’t such a bad private investigator after all!

This info is all trickling in as a result of our (Kenji and my) efforts to find out Pahonu history and who the heck MR. Anderson is!!!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#123 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Steve wrote:
Danno wrote:Lordy... you should all be nominated as honorary private eyes.... the research going on here is incredible.

Agreed! RG and others are bringing it to a new level. I feel like I am Luther H Gillis using old gum shoe tactics going after "Artie Canoe" while they already bagged him, are home relaxing and finishing up the book on "How to be a World Class Investigator".........
Thanks Danno & Steve! Now see, Susan Johnson isn’t such a bad private investigator after all!

This info is all trickling in as a result of our (Kenji and my) efforts to find out Pahonu history and who the heck MR. Anderson is!!!
Well, this thread crashed & burned over two years ago, and so did I. After a rough couple years I've got some new-found free time on my hands and picked up the Mr. Anderson search, got lucky, and finally found our elusive Mr. Anderson of the Anderson Estate! :shock:

Back in 2014 I sent for a document from the Hawaii Bureau of Conveyances which was a mortgage release for Eve Glover Anderson and it turns out it had her husband's name on the document...John William Anderson, Jr.! So Kenji and I researched him and found that Eve went to high school (Punahou) with a "John (Johnny) Anderson" but he has been married to one of their classmates for decades, Patti Soule Anderson. Of course we figured Eve and Johnny could have married, divorced, and then he remarried their classmate Patti, but we had no proof...until now. I just found an oral history of John William Anderson Jr.'s family. It states that indeed, his first wife was Eve Glover and then he married Patti Soule. This is noted on pages 6 & 18 of the oral history:
https://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/ ... _Plews.pdf

So, Mr. Anderson has been on Oahu all these years! Oddly and sadly, Mr. Anderson just passed away two weeks ago today:

http://obits.staradvertiser.com/2016/10 ... derson-jr/

Here are some fuzzy photos that I found. The first one is from a Punahou Reunion in 2001:

This one is from last year...sorry such poor quality:

And finally, this one is from June of this year, looking very frail...he's the one sitting behind the cash box:

It seems so simple now, but Kenji and I spent many, many hours trying to find him. We quickly discovered that John Anderson is of course quite a common name, and Eve being the private person that she is didn’t make it any easier. Anyway....mystery solved!!! :D

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by Steve »

Bravo RG, you have done an amazing job!......... Now, can you figure out the back story on Milton "The Ripper" Collins............

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by KENJI »

Great work RG (aka Sherlock) and welcome back!!!!!
Looking forward to your future posts!

It was interesting to read that John was once president of the very exclusive Waialae C.C..
Check out these old pics of the club when famous people like Babe Ruth played there.......

http://www.waialaecc.com/the-clubhouse/ ... of-waialae

R.I.P. Mr. Anderson

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Kenji (Watson) :wink: just pointed out that I found better pics in 2014 that were in our PMs. It HAS been a long two years. :oops: Anyway, the top two pics are from 2006 and the bottom one is from 2001, all at Punahou reunions:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#127 Post by ConchRepublican »

Impressive sleuthing!!! :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I recently discovered Mrs. A is currently building her new home on a 2 acre piece of land on the outskirts of Kailua she purchased back in 2014 for $955,000. The listings states, "This lot offers panoramic ocean/mtn/garden views, 1500 gal septic tank, leech field, ag water line, irrigation system, culverts and a terraced orchard with banana, breadfruit, avocado, Ka'u orange, tangerine, fig trees and more."

The house she's building (in progress) is a 3,640 sq. ft. two-story with a wet bar (go Eve! :shock: ) Here are some pics from the listing. It's a couple miles inland so it's very different from Pahonu, but if she misses the ocean outside her back door perhaps her new-found privacy is some consolation.

View looking north, over Kailua town and Kailua Beach. A neighbor's home is to the left:

View looking the other direction on her lot...on the other side of that white wall is the road:

View looking southeast, sort of toward Pahonu:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#129 Post by Steve »

Wow, you never cease to amaze me RG, where would that be on the map?

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:Wow, you never cease to amaze me RG, where would that be on the map?
Thanks, Steve! :D I was hesitant to say where but now that I think about it I don't think MPI fans will be clamoring to see her new property, lol! It's on Old Kalanianaole Rd. in Kailua. Below I've shown driving directions from the Estate for a better idea as to where her new digs are. As you can see it's about a 12 minute drive from Pahonu:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#131 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Just realized I should copy/paste this under this thread...

From doing a lot of research about Eve's ancestors, there is a lot of wealth on her mother's side of the family. Her grandmother, Julia Shepherd Grossman Wall, grew up in Chicago, the daughter of Edward S. Shepherd, a very wealthy businessman. They lived in one of the mansions on Sheridan Rd. (Steve, are you familiar with them?), and they were high society folks.

Here's a mention of her father's will...this $3,800,000 was in 1922 dollars!

When Julia moved to Hawaii she was very much in the "smart set" as they called it. Because of that I've found a lot of fun society blurbs in the papers from back then about attending this party & that tea, their travels, going to their "country" home in Kahala, events at the country club...it goes on & on. Julia's parents even built her and her husband Moses a home in Honolulu that is supposed to look like their mansion back in Chicago......and coincidentally, is for sale right now! I just love all this stuff!

I also find it interesting that Chicago wealth/money purchased the land and built Pahonu, and now it has changed hands to Chicago wealth again!

A link to the listing: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/58 ... ect/15_zm/

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

For any interested history buffs, here's a bit more of Eve's history...

This is Eve's grandmother Julia Shepherd Grossman (later Wall) holding Eve's mother Eva. (Society column from the Honolulu Star Bulletin, March 14, 1914)

Part of the caption reads, "Mrs. Grossman was recently hostess at a large and very beautiful tea at the Country Club".

A few years later they would move to the home on Nuuanu Ave. (I posted about above), but not before it burned to the ground just before completion:

(Thrum’s Hawaiian Annual 1915)
"FIRE RECORD.

Honolulu has been favored with another year of comparative
freedom from disastrous fires, the most serious being that of
Dr. Grossman's fine new residence in upper Nuuanu, undergoing
its finishing touches, April 25th, which was gutted by fire, pos-
sibly from spontaneous combustion. Loss about $15,000."

But as we know they rebuilt it, and held a lavish housewarming party:

(Honolulu Star Bulletin February 10, 1917)

(Honolulu Star Bulletin February 17, 1917 - in the paper the very next day!)

The home is very close to the Oahu Country Club, where they were members (http://www.oahucountryclub.com/club/scr ... DN=HISTORY)

Today that portion of Nuuanu Ave. is the Pali Hwy.:

Here's a pic of Eve's grandfather, Dr. Moses Grossman, we haven't seen before...

They also had a Kahala home "in the country":

(Honolulu Star Bulletin December 29, 1917)
Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by 308GUY »

Isn't the "interwebs" amazing?!?!

So is Rembrandt's Girl and her fantastic investigative tenacity.

Just amazing to me, that somebody took the time and effort to put all this info ON the net, and even more amazed that somebody else took the time and trouble to FIND it! :lol: Sometimes it seems like the history of the entire human race, or maybe even the whole world, is crammed into a computer server somewhere.

Just hope the electricity doesn't dry up at some point!HA :!:

Thanks go out to that super slueth RG.....can I put you to work finding and retrieving that "lost fortune" of mine that I was told by a great aunt 50 years ago I had coming to me? :magnum:

Great work RG.

Can't wait to see what Eve builds on the new property.....should prove very interesting! Be sure to keep us posted on the progress.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote: and even more amazed that somebody else took the time and trouble to FIND it! :lol:
Thank you, I think? :wink: To me it's a fun look back into the history of Pahonu, really. It's almost like I can see Eve's ancestors visiting Pahonu, strolling the grounds, wading in the tidal pool, etc.
308GUY wrote:.....can I put you to work finding and retrieving that "lost fortune" of mine that I was told by a great aunt 50 years ago I had coming to me? :magnum:
I'm sure I can dig something up!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#135 Post by 308GUY »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote: I'm sure I can dig something up!

:lol: That's FUNNY :!:

Though I'm sure we'll never convince Higgins.

Still pop that episode in whenever I'm in a "let's have fun" mood.

I think it's a fun episode, and one of my favorites in the "not too serious" category.

I also truly enjoy reading about the history associated with Pahonu, hope you'll post whatever you find in the future. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"