Eve Glover Anderson

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Eve Glover Anderson

#41 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:I always wondered if the original owner of the estate had owned more land and subdivided it over the years. The Shriner connection makes it seem even more possible. If the several homes to the east and the Shriner's Club to the west are all newer than Pahonu, which is unconfirmed, then it is very possible. Remember Rick Romer said Ms Anderson's grandparents used to arrive by boat at first, before the highway was built. There was also a dock in one of the H5O photos from the late 60's that looked to be on the Shriner's lot. Those other homes and the Shriners would have been very isolated. On the other hand, it would have been a perfect secluded spot for a vacation home, which it began as. I can picture Dr. Wall buying a secluded property to get away, maybe even a few years before actually starting construction, and later selling some of the land to the Shriners. Intriguing stuff.

Oh, and great detective work Kenji!
Thanks Pahonu.
I did read somewhere that the Shriners purchased neighbouring properties to make their compound larger (I'll try and find it and post) so maybe Dr. Wall did sell a section off to the Shriners or they purchased strictly from the neighbours on the opposite side. Rick Romer's comment and the boat launch that we see in H50 pics connect very nicely too. I can just imagine how peaceful it must've been before they added road access.....seclusion at its finest. It would be interesting to see Dr. Wall's primary residence (if it still exists) because his summer home was incredible (still is)!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by KENJI »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Pahonu wrote:I always wondered if the original owner of the estate had owned more land and subdivided it over the years. The Shriner connection makes it seem even more possible. If the several homes to the east and the Shriner's Club to the west are all newer than Pahonu, which is unconfirmed, then it is very possible. Remember Rick Romer said Ms Anderson's grandparents used to arrive by boat at first, before the highway was built. There was also a dock in one of the H5O photos from the late 60's that looked to be on the Shriner's lot. Those other homes and the Shriners would have been very isolated. On the other hand, it would have been a perfect secluded spot for a vacation home, which it began as. I can picture Dr. Wall buying a secluded property to get away, maybe even a few years before actually starting construction, and later selling some of the land to the Shriners. Intriguing stuff.

Clever deductive work Pahonu and great research Kenji. Which one's Luther and which one Magnum?
Good one Styles......I'm 6'2", have a moustache and never been to St. Louis....you decide. :magnum:
It would be great if we had Luther and Higgins smiley faces.....anyone talented enough to add them to our collection?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by KENJI »

I found this interesting.....http://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/k ... chpark.php
assuming it is correct that would make the beach club a few years older than Pahonu..... Shriners 1931 and Pahonu 1933.
I wonder if Dr. Wall was introduced to the area on a visit with his brother to the Shriners Beach Club and fell in love with the location.
This case is becoming more interesting by the minute.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#44 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:I found this interesting.....http://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/k ... chpark.php
assuming it is correct that would make the beach club a few years older than Pahonu..... Shriners 1931 and Pahonu 1933.
I wonder if Dr. Wall was introduced to the area on a visit with his brother to the Shriners Beach Club and fell in love with the location.
That would make sense. Next step might be to see when the highway through there was completed.
It may have been a smaller road from the town toward Pahonu that didn't go through as it does today.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:
KENJI wrote:I found this interesting.....http://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/k ... chpark.php
That would make sense. Next step might be to see when the highway through there was completed.
It may have been a smaller road from the town toward Pahonu that didn't go through as it does today.
Hey Pahonu,
Here is a good starting point that I found..........The ranch lands and its use for feeding cattle were only the beginning of the erosion process
in the region though, as evidence showed that the bulk of soil run-off was attributed to a growing
population and the need for residential development. Using land for homes in Ko`olaupoko was
on a slow but steady incline during the early 1900’s, as families trickled over from the mainland
and other parts of O`ahu. But a tremendous surge occurred in the late 1950’s, as roads leading
into the area from Honolulu were greatly improved. The original Pali Trail, which was treacherous
and hazardous in various places, was improved several times and finally made safe for horses and
wagons in 1861. By the early 1900’s automobiles were coming over the Pali for Sunday outings,
and by May 1957 the first of two tunnels on the Pali Road from Nu`uanu Valley were opened.
Also in 1957, bids for an additional trans-Ko`olau freeway were solicited and the construction of
the Likelike Highway (named after Miriam Kapili Likelike, sister of King David Kalakaua) began.
Completion of the Wilson Tunnel and the new Likelike Highway came in November 1960, which
resulted in much more people visiting and moving to the windward side of O`ahu. The new
roads and tunnels allowed motorists to travel along much safer routes too, which meant less
accidents and faster travel times.

I've started a Waimanalo thread with other links to view....quite interesting.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by KENJI »

KENJI wrote:

Thanks Pahonu.
I did read somewhere that the Shriners purchased neighbouring properties to make their compound larger (I'll try and find it and post) so maybe Dr. Wall did sell a section off to the Shriners or they purchased strictly from the neighbours on the opposite side. Rick Romer's comment and the boat launch that we see in H50 pics connect very nicely too. I can just imagine how peaceful it must've been before they added road access.....seclusion at its finest. It would be interesting to see Dr. Wall's primary residence (if it still exists) because his summer home was incredible (still is)!
Here is the link that mentions the Shriners purchasing land next door....assuming the Shriners were there in 1931 and Pahonu in 1933 I would say they most likely purchased land off the neighbours on other side.
http://www.hawaiiislandhomes.com/windwa ... waimanalo/

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#47 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:Eve's grandfather , who built Pahonu was Dr. Ormand Edgar Wall.
http://www.hawaiiislandhomes.com/homes- ... estyle-13/
Hey JJ,

Maybe you could include some of the information Kenji found about Dr. Wall building Pahonu on this page http://magnum-mania.com/Pics/Pahonu.html at the top?

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:Here is an interesting article about Eve's father, James (Jimmy) Wilson Glover, who was very successful.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... 331,442132
Hi Kenji,

I’ve been having a great time reading about Eve from all the info you posted.

I did discover something interesting after reading the above article you posted about Eve’s father’s passing. The article says he owned Kahuku Ranch on the Big Island - WOW! I did some research and see that one year after his death the ranch was sold, presumably by Eve and her brother, in 1958 for $1.3 million to pay estate taxes which comprised primarily of inheritance taxes :(

Thanks for all the interesting stuff, Kenji!

~RG

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I just stumbled upon something else about Eve by accident. Apparently she has two other homes on Oahu, one in the Manoa neighborhood of Honolulu and one in Kailua right by the Royal Hawaiian Golf Club (for those of you familiar, it’s the one down below the Pali Lookout.) They look like very nice neighborhoods. Maybe part-time residences? Rentals? Anyway, it looks like she’s doing ok financially, which is nice to know :D

~RG

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by KENJI »

Hi RG,
Glad you enjoyed the info!
Nice find on your part regarding the ranch being sold to pay inheritance tax! Do you have the link?
I did know about one of the other places Eve supposedly owns....one of them might be a property shared with her brother, maybe another property they inherited or purchased together.....I'll try and find the info again and post it.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:Hi RG,
Glad you enjoyed the info!
Nice find on your part regarding the ranch being sold to pay inheritance tax! Do you have the link?
I did know about one of the other places Eve supposedly owns....one of them might be a property shared with her brother, maybe another property they inherited or purchased together.....I'll try and find the info again and post it.
Hi Kenji,

I read about him owning the Ranch from your article (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... 331,442132), then I googled Kahuku Ranch and discovered the Damon family purchased it the year after Eve's father died. From there I wikipedia-ed (is that a word?) the Damon family. On that wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Mills_Damon) there's a reference to a book, "Hawai'i Place Names: Shores, Beaches, and Surf Sites". I clicked on that link and it took me to an excerpt from the book that discusses Glover's Beach on the Big Island (named after Eve's father), which made the comment about selling the Ranch to pay taxes. http://books.google.com/books?id=K6ChFt ... &q&f=false

~RG
Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by KENJI »

Thanks RG!
Well done!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Thank you, Kenji. I'm looking forward to reading all your links about Waimanalo now.

Have you ever found out any info about Eve's husband? If it's on the forum can you point me in the right direction, please? I started to do a little research on my own but came up empty. I thought I'd ask you before I spent more time.

Thanks so much, Kenji!

~RG

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by KENJI »

Hi RG,
Mr. Anderson is still a mystery! I thought I had a match, but a little more research shot down my theory.
Give it another shot and maybe we can figure something out between us.
Enjoy Conch's sliders this weekend! :shock:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:Hi RG,
Mr. Anderson is still a mystery! I thought I had a match, but a little more research shot down my theory.
Give it another shot and maybe we can figure something out between us.
Enjoy Conch's sliders this weekend! :shock:
Hi Kenji,

I'll do some digging. Of course she has to have a common last name...it can't be Eve Glover Wojciehowicz or something!

I'll probably do the sliders tomorrow. I want them to marinate a good long time! :shock:

~RG