Eve Glover Anderson

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Eve Glover Anderson

#131 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Just realized I should copy/paste this under this thread...

From doing a lot of research about Eve's ancestors, there is a lot of wealth on her mother's side of the family. Her grandmother, Julia Shepherd Grossman Wall, grew up in Chicago, the daughter of Edward S. Shepherd, a very wealthy businessman. They lived in one of the mansions on Sheridan Rd. (Steve, are you familiar with them?), and they were high society folks.

Here's a mention of her father's will...this $3,800,000 was in 1922 dollars!

When Julia moved to Hawaii she was very much in the "smart set" as they called it. Because of that I've found a lot of fun society blurbs in the papers from back then about attending this party & that tea, their travels, going to their "country" home in Kahala, events at the country club...it goes on & on. Julia's parents even built her and her husband Moses a home in Honolulu that is supposed to look like their mansion back in Chicago......and coincidentally, is for sale right now! I just love all this stuff!

I also find it interesting that Chicago wealth/money purchased the land and built Pahonu, and now it has changed hands to Chicago wealth again!

A link to the listing: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/58 ... ect/15_zm/

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

For any interested history buffs, here's a bit more of Eve's history...

This is Eve's grandmother Julia Shepherd Grossman (later Wall) holding Eve's mother Eva. (Society column from the Honolulu Star Bulletin, March 14, 1914)

Part of the caption reads, "Mrs. Grossman was recently hostess at a large and very beautiful tea at the Country Club".

A few years later they would move to the home on Nuuanu Ave. (I posted about above), but not before it burned to the ground just before completion:

(Thrum’s Hawaiian Annual 1915)
"FIRE RECORD.

Honolulu has been favored with another year of comparative
freedom from disastrous fires, the most serious being that of
Dr. Grossman's fine new residence in upper Nuuanu, undergoing
its finishing touches, April 25th, which was gutted by fire, pos-
sibly from spontaneous combustion. Loss about $15,000."

But as we know they rebuilt it, and held a lavish housewarming party:

(Honolulu Star Bulletin February 10, 1917)

(Honolulu Star Bulletin February 17, 1917 - in the paper the very next day!)

The home is very close to the Oahu Country Club, where they were members (http://www.oahucountryclub.com/club/scr ... DN=HISTORY)

Today that portion of Nuuanu Ave. is the Pali Hwy.:

Here's a pic of Eve's grandfather, Dr. Moses Grossman, we haven't seen before...

They also had a Kahala home "in the country":

(Honolulu Star Bulletin December 29, 1917)
Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by 308GUY »

Isn't the "interwebs" amazing?!?!

So is Rembrandt's Girl and her fantastic investigative tenacity.

Just amazing to me, that somebody took the time and effort to put all this info ON the net, and even more amazed that somebody else took the time and trouble to FIND it! :lol: Sometimes it seems like the history of the entire human race, or maybe even the whole world, is crammed into a computer server somewhere.

Just hope the electricity doesn't dry up at some point!HA :!:

Thanks go out to that super slueth RG.....can I put you to work finding and retrieving that "lost fortune" of mine that I was told by a great aunt 50 years ago I had coming to me? :magnum:

Great work RG.

Can't wait to see what Eve builds on the new property.....should prove very interesting! Be sure to keep us posted on the progress.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote: and even more amazed that somebody else took the time and trouble to FIND it! :lol:
Thank you, I think? :wink: To me it's a fun look back into the history of Pahonu, really. It's almost like I can see Eve's ancestors visiting Pahonu, strolling the grounds, wading in the tidal pool, etc.
308GUY wrote:.....can I put you to work finding and retrieving that "lost fortune" of mine that I was told by a great aunt 50 years ago I had coming to me? :magnum:
I'm sure I can dig something up!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#135 Post by 308GUY »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote: I'm sure I can dig something up!

:lol: That's FUNNY :!:

Though I'm sure we'll never convince Higgins.

Still pop that episode in whenever I'm in a "let's have fun" mood.

I think it's a fun episode, and one of my favorites in the "not too serious" category.

I also truly enjoy reading about the history associated with Pahonu, hope you'll post whatever you find in the future. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#136 Post by Steve »

Again, RG your are a treasure on this site. I did some quick research on Edward S. Shepard and from what I could find in the little time I had is that he was a railroad baron in Chicago. If he lived on Sheridan Road around the turn of the century he was probably in the neighborhood I lived in for 5 years when I first moved to Chicago from Minneapolis in 1983. I was in a high rise located where one section of the famous Edgewater Beach Hotel was situated.
http://www.edgewaterhistory.org/ehs/loc ... each-hotel
Sheridan Road is the street that runs on the west side of the hotel, Lake Shore Drive now runs on the east side of where the "X" shaped building still stands as apartments (for you football fans, Papa Bear Hallas lived in that building until he died). There were mansions along Sheridan road all the way up to Evanston where Northwestern University is located. Wow, how would you like to have Ms. Anderson's lineage!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#137 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:Again, RG your are a treasure on this site. I did some quick research on Edward S. Shepard and from what I could find in the little time I had is that he was a railroad baron in Chicago. If he lived on Sheridan Road around the turn of the century he was probably in the neighborhood I lived in for 5 years when I first moved to Chicago from Minneapolis in 1983. I was in a high rise located where one section of the famous Edgewater Beach Hotel was situated.
http://www.edgewaterhistory.org/ehs/loc ... each-hotel
Sheridan Road is the street that runs on the west side of the hotel, Lake Shore Drive now runs on the east side of where the "X" shaped building still stands as apartments (for you football fans, Papa Bear Hallas lived in that building until he died). There were mansions along Sheridan road all the way up to Evanston where Northwestern University is located. Wow, how would you like to have Ms. Anderson's lineage!
Thanks Steve! The Edgewater looks really interesting, I'll have to check it all out...so cool that you lived right there! And small world...the Shepherd's mansion was just a 5 minute drive up Sheridan from you! It's now demolished unfortunately.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#138 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:For any interested history buffs, here's a bit more of Eve's history...

This is Eve's grandmother Julia Shepherd Grossman (later Wall) holding Eve's mother Eva. (Society column from the Honolulu Star Bulletin, March 14, 1914)

Part of the caption reads, "Mrs. Grossman was recently hostess at a large and very beautiful tea at the Country Club".

A few years later they would move to the home on Nuuanu Ave. (I posted about above), but not before it burned to the ground just before completion:

(Thrum’s Hawaiian Annual 1915)
"FIRE RECORD.

Honolulu has been favored with another year of comparative
freedom from disastrous fires, the most serious being that of
Dr. Grossman's fine new residence in upper Nuuanu, undergoing
its finishing touches, April 25th, which was gutted by fire, pos-
sibly from spontaneous combustion. Loss about $15,000."

But as we know they rebuilt it, and held a lavish housewarming party:

(Honolulu Star Bulletin February 10, 1917)

(Honolulu Star Bulletin February 17, 1917 - in the paper the very next day!)

The home is very close to the Oahu Country Club, where they were members (http://www.oahucountryclub.com/club/scr ... DN=HISTORY)

Today that portion of Nuuanu Ave. is the Pali Hwy.:

Here's a pic of Eve's grandfather, Dr. Moses Grossman, we haven't seen before...

They also had a Kahala home "in the country":

(Honolulu Star Bulletin December 29, 1917)
Your sleuthing is absolutely top notch RG!!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#139 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Speaking of Eve's stepmother Barbara Cox, here's a brief article & pics from when she and Eve's father were married in March 1952...

Star-Bulletin, March 7, 1952. (Kennedy was her second husband's name)...

Honolulu Advertiser, March 12, 1952...

Star-Bulletin, March 8, 1952...

Eve's mother Eva had passed the prior year in 1951.

Star-Bulletin, January 10, 1951...

Honolulu Advertiser, January 10, 1951...

Jimmy and Barbara Cox were married a few days shy of 5 years when he passed away at age 52 at Pahonu...

Honolulu Advertiser, March 2, 1957...

Star-Bulletin, November 8, 1957...

Work The Lock
Lieutenant

#140 Post by Work The Lock »

Wow, Amazing research finds, RG!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#141 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Work The Lock wrote:Wow, Amazing research finds, RG!
Thanks, Work The Lock! I'll be posting more on this thread. :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#142 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

A few years ago we ID'ed Eve Anderson as being in "Beauty Knows No Pain" competing (at times side by side) with Magnum in the Ironman Triathlon scenes, and then we discovered that she actually competed in triathlons in real life. Check out this great article I just found!

Honolulu Star Bulletin, January 10, 1980...

And pic in the newspaper a few days later

Honolulu Advertiser, January 13, 1980...

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#143 Post by KENJI »

What a fantastic find RG! It even mentions her climbing the coconut trees to help me do some trimming :wink:
I didn't know she was a golfer either. Interesting about her Alaskan hike/ski adventure....I bet it took a bit of time adjusting to the difference in temp. that she is usually used too. :shock: Swimming to Rabbit Island wouldn't be easy either....hats off to her!!!!!
Thanks for sharing RG!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#144 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I knew you would find that interesting, KENJI!

I remember she used to have get-togethers at Pahonu with a group of friends/swimming club (?), and they'd swim to Rabbit Island & back for fun.

I also just saw a comment on social media (Lenkov's Instagram account actually) and a tourist/fellow MPI fan said that during a visit to Pahonu in 2012 she saw Eve climbing her coco palms to get coconuts! :shock:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#145 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I knew you would find that interesting, KENJI!

I remember she used to have get-togethers at Pahonu with a group of friends/swimming club (?), and they'd swim to Rabbit Island & back for fun.

I also just saw a comment on social media (Lenkov's Instagram account actually) and a tourist/fellow MPI fan said that during a visit to Pahonu in 2012 she saw Eve climbing her coco palms to get coconuts! :shock:
I'm sure you know there is a photo or two of her trimming a coco palm somewhere on this forum.