The Jororo Islands

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

The Jororo Islands

#1 Post by Danno »

So am I the only one on the forum who Goolgled the Jororo Islands wondering why you'd never heard of them before?

Tell me I'm not alone.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: The Jororo Islands

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

Been there, searched that. :D

What's funny is there was a real Jororo Indian tribe that lived in central Florida. Roughly in the Orlando area and south, not getting as far down as Lake Okeechobee. Makes we wonder who came up with the name. Were they Floridian? Had an interest in American history or Native American tribes? Or just a co-inky dink?
Last edited by ConchRepublican on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MagnumILWU »

And the "National" drink of the Jororo Islands is, Coops Beer! Goes good with a visit to their local "Macho Taco"!
"pickled egg please"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

'Jororo' quite possibly may have been the very first keyword I ever searched on the internet! Pre-Google. WebCrawler days. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Danno »

:magnum: :magnum: :magnum:

High fives!

I'd at first assumed it was some place in Micronesia I'd never heard of..
What's funny is there was a real Jororo Indian tribe that lived in central Florida. Roughly in the Orlando area and south, not getting as far down as Lake Okeechobee. Makes we wonder who came up with the name. Were they Floridian? Had an interest in American history or Native American tribes? Or just a co-inky dink?
Good question- I'd like think the writers are interesting enough to know it was an obscure tribe and thus borrowed their name.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

ConchRepublican

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

Danno wrote:
I'd at first assumed it was some place in Micronesia I'd never heard of..
I assumed so as well at first, but a few years ago when I got back into MPI in more detail my "fingers went walking".
Danno wrote:
Good question- I'd like think the writers are interesting enough to know it was an obscure tribe and thus borrowed their name.
Me too, but I have been made privy to the gods of fortuitous circumstance too often in the past.
J.J. Walters wrote: 'Jororo' quite possibly may have been the very first keyword I ever searched on the internet! Pre-Google. WebCrawler days. ;)
Spider-Man costume and all? :P
CoziTV Superfan spot

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by steveadl »

Looks like so far I'm the only one that assumed it was a fictional name made for the episode! I feel left out :lol:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#8 Post by Pahonu »

steveadl wrote:Looks like so far I'm the only one that assumed it was a fictional name made for the episode! I feel left out :lol:
Your not alone. I thought it was fictional and, in reality, you could argue it is. From reading this thread I understand there are no Jororo Islands, so they are indeed fictional. Of course, it is an actual word, used for an entirely different reason pertaining to a Native American tribe. TV shows do this all the time, taking real words and using them fictitiously. Also from Magnum in the episode Who is Don Luis Higgins... they refer to the president of Costa de Rosa. This isn't a real country but they're real words meaning "pink coast". I think if you just made up words entirely it would sound either like science fiction or just plain silly.
Last edited by Pahonu on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ConchRepublican

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

Hey, I spent YEARS trying to find Old Dusseldorf in a long neck . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#10 Post by Pahonu »

ConchRepublican wrote:Hey, I spent YEARS trying to find Old Dusseldorf in a long neck . . .
LOL! I guess I just assumed it was fake. TV shows never used to have product placements like they do now. It was considered free advertisement and avoided. What if you showed Coors beer instead of "Coops", for example, and there was an ad for Budweiser during the show. One paid for the advertisement and the other got it for free. Of course, corporations pay for these placements today.

I still remember The Carol Burnett Show and how during skits, especially with Mama and Eunice, they would get a can out of the fridge that said "Beer". Just that. It was decorated maybe like a Coors or Budweiser can, but it clearly read "Beer". I used to think that was so funny. They didn't even bother to make something up.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

There's also the "Republic of Costa Nueva" (from the Simon & Simon/Magnum crossover), a country that loves bullfighting and has a cheesy playboy dictator. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by eagle »

I'm just starting s04e11 ("Jororo Farewell"), and yes I googled the name. :D :magnum:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#13 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:There's also the "Republic of Costa Nueva" (from the Simon & Simon/Magnum crossover), a country that loves bullfighting and has a cheesy playboy dictator. ;)
I remember the A Team would regularly visit made up Latin American countries with names like that and the aforementioned Costa de Rosa.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by Danny Lin »

I´m certainly shocked that no one on here seems to know where my home, the beautiful Kingdom Of The Jororo Islands, is situated!! Especially since, as I told previously, Magnum regularly visits me here... :o :o :o

*switches off Danny mode*:

obviously a Jororo can be found in Colombia: :lol:
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Jororo ... 2835?hl=de

another Jororo seems to exist in Adamawa State in the Nigerian "outback": :lol:
http://www.satellitecitymaps.com/africa ... ororo-map/
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Wallville
Ensign

#15 Post by Wallville »

The #8th line item on my bucket list was to visit the Jororo Islands, buy some land with a peaceful view, then have myself open air cremated overlooking the strange and unfamiliar landscape from which I would never return to this cruel world. But....