The Files of Kenji, Staff Gardner - Robins Nest

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: The Files of Kenji, Staff Gardner - Robins Nest

#141 Post by J.J. Walters »

Milton Collins?........ Oh, wait. Ahhh-haha. I see now. From the denouement of "Death and Taxes".

"Milton Collins. Even after I heard his name, I still couldn't remember him. I didn't have a record of him in my case file, but something did show up in my appointment book. I'd had a meeting at the club one day with a Milton Collins who wanted to know if his wife was cheating on him."

You're good Doc, real good. :)

Bring on "By Its Cover"! I can't wait to hear Kenji's take on how Rod Chrysler showed up at the front door of the main house! Heh!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#142 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote: As they walked away, I heard the first part of their conversation where the man introduced himself as Milton Collins.
Nice .... 8)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#143 Post by Doc Ibold »

By Its Cover:

Even though I've grown accustomed to visits from various clients and assorted eccentrics dropping by the estate to visit Magnum, I've never seen many friends of Magnums visit the estate, save for Rick and TC. I assume it's due to Higgins' general disdain of Magnums chosen profession that keep the gates of Robins Nest locked to most of Magnums acquaintances save for Rick or TC.. who usually get in over the gate and I am "convieniently" elsewhere on the estate.. or whether it is a scheduled appointment to discuss the club or a gratis charter for one of Higgins' societies that he and Agatha are involved in.

However, that all changed when Rod Crysler decided to make a house call.

I was busy working by the street one day when he drove up in the shoddiest looking truck I ever saw and passed right through the open gate! Higgins has a strict no solicitation policy, which I am diligent to enforce even though I am a little lax when it comes to Rick and TC. .

I took up after him on the driveway, but he had already reached the front door. I reached his "truck" and noticed there was a bit of an aroma lingering that smelled like a head shop. Maybe it was some sort of new cologne. Half the time, I smell like compost... So I don't really judge what other people smell like?

Higgins had answered the door and if I couldn't stop him, Higgins would. I was formulating a plan to explain his intrusion when I heard Magnum yell out "Hot Rod Crysler!!!!"

Magnum and Rod soon left for the guest house, and I was left to explain "Hot Rod Cryslers" presence on the estate. He soon left, and Magnum walked out grinning. He told me he was going to mKe an encyclopedia delivery for "Hot Rod" while he was traveling to visit his son. He asked if I would help him deliver it, but I had enough of "Hot Rod", plus had some extra chores Higgins had suddenly had discovered around the grounds, as the Baron Von Brandenburg was here with his new wife.. "Miss L". I'd try and take a look, but Kiki would kill me (as would Higgins).

Magnums delivery for Rod didn't turn out as planned. Rod had decided to plant some bags of grass in with his encyclopedias and make a little bit of green selling the green stuff... And the guys seemed to have Aiken a beating. Rick seemed to think it was hilarious. TC didn't seem to share his enthusiasm. It did seem to explain the aroma coming from the truck though. Magnum, however, seemed to think it was all one big misunderstanding!

He decided to go and chat it over with Higgins. Why that seemed to be a good idea at the time was beyond me.

The next day, Magnum took off on a hunt for Rod. For a guy whom he presumed to be innocent, he sure was asking a lot of time trying to find all about him.

Magnum came back again with Rod, who claimed he was being framed by a Narc from his past. Magnum still seemed to believe in this guy. He had to have done Magnum a solid in the past, because he didn't seem to be someone Magnum would associate with.

They headed back to the guest house where they remained throughout the night. When Rod left the next morning, Magnum almost seemed disgusted with Rod. TC and Rick showed up soon afterwards with Rods parole officer to catch Donner (the Narc in question) in the act.

In closing the Rod Crysler story, Donner was caught in the act. Rod was back on probation, and headed back to the mainland for good this time. As penance to Higgins, he had brought a batch of brownies. As Magnum and Rod said their goodbyes, it turned out there never was a son of Hot Rod! And maybe that was for the best, as one was probably too much,

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#144 Post by Doc Ibold »

The Big Blow:

Throughout my time here on the estate, I have gotten used to Higgins' eclectic interests and Magnums adventures. Many of them have been have dealt with love, betrayal, larceny or even murder. Usually I try to lay low and stay out of them and hear about it second hand from either Higgins or Magnum. On other occasions, either directly or indirectly, I find myself involved in them. This time, I was directly involved but no one knew about it save for Magnum, and my employer Robin Masters.

It all started around the time of Mr. Masters Spring Equinox party. Someone had been sending Robin threatening letters and he had reason to believe it would be a guest at his upcoming party, or so Magnum told me.

Rather than flee from the apparent danger, Mr. Masters decided to place himself directly in the middle of it. Magnum objected wholeheartedly to the plan, but once it was understood he go along with it or face other living arrangements, he reluctantly agreed. Magnum had three demands. 1) That Mr. Masters stay hidden in his room until the culprit was uncovered. 2) That no one know of his presence at the party (including Higgins) and 3) That I was to be involved.

I was to pick up Mr. Masters at the airport the day of the party and to smuggle him in in the Jimmy, in the guise of picking up fertilizer. Magnum would distract Higgins and I would take Mr. Masters up to his room where he and I would remain undetected with a great spread of food and drink that would tide the both of us over while the mystery unfolded. I was explicitly instructed by Magnum not to let Mr. Masters emerge under any circumstances.

Little did we know, a hurricane would turn that entire tidy plan upside down.

When I picked up Mr. Masters, I was noticeably nervous. He, however, was a little bit tipsy. He seemed to think this would be a great amount of fun and would be an interesting novel to write. And in order to write the novel correctly, he had to be involved!

I had never actually had a conversation with Robin Masters. Our relationship generally consisted of him complimenting the grounds, a Christmas card and a birthday card/bonus that I have received three distinctly different times throughout the year. I assumed this was his legendary ignorance of birthdates.

The winds were picking up as I pulled into the driveway. Magnum distracted Higgins, and I conspicuously excused myself to go home, with the guise that Kiki would be picking me up. I soon circled back across the beach and made my way towards the house along Magnums "avoiding Higgins" route.

I settled myself in Mr. Masters suite with him as he opened up a cognac to start the night. He offered some to me, but I refused. It was duty, after all. Mr. Masters was not to be denied, however and we were soon starting off with our snifters.

Amid the creaks, crashes and window shatters, we decided to go o we the list of suspects. It was almost like Hercule Poirot and Arthur Hastings. Im not sure if it was the cognac or the company, because even though we were in the midst of a dangerous situation, I was starting to agree with Mr. Masters view of it all being a terribly interesting adventure.

Archie MacPherson - Mr. Masters accountant
Duke Davis - Professional Baseball player whom Mr. Masters sponsored throughout his minor league career
Roland and Wanda Martine - Prince and Princess of Turbia
And
Candice Wingate - Editor of "Explosions of Poetry" magazine

None seemed to have a motive, but that seemed to intrigue Mr. masters even more. Through our seats upstairs, we could hear the guests arrive. Mr. Masters did comment that he found it amusing that Higgins seemed to think he was acquainted with most of the of the guests, when no one but Mr. MacPherson knew who he was. He mentioned he wasn't particularly surprised because Higgins had once let a KGB agent onto the estate who claimed to be his schoolteacher!

He must have seen the look on my face when he assured me that Higgins was a quite able majordomo and decide,y better and more trustworthy than Lowell Xavier Jamison, his predecessor. He said that despite Higgins' rare lapses, he had Magnum to fall back on.. Hence his unprecedented liberties at the estate. He also hinted that Magnums adventures made for excellent plot points in his novels, if he could only get Magnum to sign off on the rights to his life story. Which, he had steadfastly refused over the years. I resisted the urge to ask about his thoughts on Higgins memoirs.

Our illuminating discussion by raised voices. I my have been mistaken, but it sounded like everyone was being robbed! He didn't recognize the new voices, wanted to go downstairs. I had to restrain him and remind him of Magnums promise.

He begrudgingly sat down and opened up a bottle of brandy and motioned me to the chair across from him.

A shot rang out, the lads started barking and he once again sprung up. I had to once again calm him down and remind him that Magnum was armed and knew what he was doing. I also reminded him that Rick and TC were on the way.

He insisted on getting out of the room once and another shot rang out, punctuated for Higgins shouting "Lads!". I finally decided to let him explore to the head of the stairway to ensure no one was truly hurt. He heard Magnum claim that Higgins was shot, but also heard Higgins answer in the negative.

Satisfied, he went back into the suite and sank into the chair. I think some of his previous enthusiasm left once he realized armed robbers were in the house and this was all getting very real. He mused on the fate of the lads and said that Higgins would be devastated if they were killed. I empathized and told him that his dogs were probably fine, or else Higgins would have taken matters into his own hands.

The thieves then seemed to leave, just as the auxiliary generator went out.

He continued that the lads weren't his, as he was allergic. They were registered to Higgins and were actually a gift from Agatha in order to keep him company at the estate. He said that Agatha was a good woman, and it was probably for the best, so he didn't mind. Besides, it was a third line of defense for his guests behind Magnum and Higgins. We then toasted to Agatha.

The thieves must have returned because a young woman cried out. We could hear Wanda the princess laughing drunkenly. Mr. Masters commented that since she was laughing now, she would be hysterical later on. The young woman cried out again, as if she was in labor. Higgins and Magnum were arguing in the kitchen, which I explained to Mr. Masters was nothing out of the ordinary.

The mystery woman was screaming more and more now. The baby was soon going to be coming.

Rick and TC arrived and that's when Mr. Masters private investigators on retainer tripled. The hurricane had other ideas, as more and more windows shattered. Magnum came upstairs to advise us that his second phase was underway. They had subdued one of the robbers, while the other robber was helping his wife give birth.

Maybe it was the cognac talking, but i asked when the attack macaw was going to show up. Mr. masters and I had a great laugh over that while Magnum shot us a look and left. He warned us that the final phase was starting and he would be back up shortly. He advised us to make preparations to look like Mr. masters was asleep.

We could hear TC putting the play into action where he found Roland hiding in a closet... Much to the annoyance of Mr. Masters as it was close enough to the bedroom that he couldn't talk or drink anymore.

The quiet was punctuated by the woman giving birth in the study.

The next thing we knew, Magnum entered the room and motioned us to get away from the door. 5 minutes later, Candice Wingate opened the door and shot into the bed. Magnum subdued her, and Robin decided to have a talk with her, alone. Magnum left him a gun, just in case.

As they say, alls well that ends well. Robin had Candice taken into custody, as attempted murder is attempted murder after all. Robin gave me a bonus and instructed me to get a crew together to fix the estate up. One would think Higgins would be irate from being kept in the dark on so many levels, but he decided to throw his hands up and take a vacation to Switzerland.

Last edited by Doc Ibold on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#145 Post by J.J. Walters »

As usual, great stuff Doc!
Doc Ibold wrote:I took up after him on the driveway, but he had already reached the front door. I reached his "truck" and noticed there was a bit of an aroma lingering that smelled like a head shop. Maybe it was some sort of new cologne. Half the time, I smell like compost... So I don't really judge what other people smell like?
LOL! :)

I love how you worked Kenji into the Big Blow. Having him be with "Robin Masters" during the party was a good idea, although I guess you didn't have much choice. Where else would he be? Hopefully not out in the maintenance shed during the hurricane! The Big Blow is one of my favorite "Kenji Files" entries, Doc. Brilliant!
Doc Ibold wrote:Maybe it was the cognac talking, but i asked when the attack macaw was going to show up. Mr. masters and I had a great laugh over that while Magnum shot us a look and left. He warned us that the final phase was starting and he would be back up shortly.
:D
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#146 Post by Doc Ibold »

Thanks James!

This was a bit of a tricky one because I was going to have Kenji hide in the house due to the storm and not let on to his presence for fear of Higgins finding out.

But that wouldn't have made much sense with all of the action going on, and the entire house being searched by Magnum, Rick and TC.

So, I decided to make the Big Blow a "Very Special Robin Masters" episode, where it answered a few little questions here and there. I was about 5 paragraphs in when I realized it would be interesting perspective as to what would it be like if you heard everything that was going on without being part of the action. It also kind of explained Magnums special benefits from Robins perspective.

Sometimes the episodes where Kenji is the hardest to fit in are the most satisfying to write.

I do need to do a bit of cleaning up here and there in reviewing but overall... It turned out quite nice!

I was kind of bummed I couldn't do better by By Its Cover... But in re watching the episode, the estate isn't figured as prominently as I remembered! I was going to have Rod drop off some "special brownies" for Higgins as an apology and end with a scene of Higgins getting caught by Kenji raiding the guest house for hot dogs while listening to Jefferson Airplane, but I figured that would have been TOO much.

:lol:

ConchRepublican

#147 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:I was going to have Rod drop off some "special brownies" for Higgins as an apology and end with a scene of Higgins getting caught by Kenji raiding the guest house for hot dogs while listening to Jefferson Airplane, but I figured that would have been TOO much.
Hot dogs? You missed an opportunity!!! Higgins wouldn't munch on American snacks, but that Tanker Moran Jam would be a primary focus!!! :lol: That sounds like it could have been something special.

"I remember, well, I remember bits anyway, of a time in Malaysia. I was on station with an American of Hopi descent. Corporal Ahote, a fascinating fellow. We were celebrating with some Gurkha allies and he shared with us his theory that Polynesia was in fact settled originally by aboriginals from the Americas . . . " :magnum:
Last edited by ConchRepublican on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#148 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:The Big Blow:

Throughout my time here on the estate, I have gotten used to Higgins' eclectic interests and Magnums adventures. Many of them have been have dealt with love, betrayal, larceny or even murder. Usually I try to lay low and stay out of them and hear about it second hand from either Higgins or Magnum. On other occasions, either directly or indirectly, I find myself involved in them. This time, I was directly involved but no one knew about it save for Magnum, and my employer Robin Masters.

. . . .

As they say, alls well that ends well. Robin had Candice taken into custody, as attempted murder is attempted murder after all. Robin gave me a bonus and instructed me to get a crew together to fix the estate up. One would think Higgins would be irate from being kept in the dark on so many levels, but he decided to throw his hands up and take a vacation to Switzerland.

Excellent entry!

More intrigue regarding the Robin Masters/Higgins dynamic. I think we know where Doc falls on the debate . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#149 Post by Doc Ibold »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Excellent entry!

More intrigue regarding the Robin Masters/Higgins dynamic. I think we know where Doc falls on the debate . . .
Or DO you???????

:twisted:

ConchRepublican

#150 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
Excellent entry!

Or DO you???????

:twisted:
Quite true, I'm sure you have more up your sleeve than you're showing.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#151 Post by Doc Ibold »

Faith and Begorrah:

Hawaii has a way of making reunions all the more special. I suppose it's the sunsets or the climate that give you that warm and fuzzy feeling. Unfortunately, the reunions I'm referring to weren't quite warm and fuzzy for Higgins or myself. Higgins ended up running into his half brother, and I got to reunite with one Brigadier Alistair Ffolkes.

It all started when Magnum decided to take a divorce case. He usually tries to do insurance work or wait for one of his "larger" cases that come up every year in order to avoid surveillance on spouses, but Ferrari repairs aren't cheap, nor is Mr. Masters champagne. Higgins wasn't in the best of moods lately, as he had stumbled upon a several month long case of writers block on his memoirs. I suppose he took his frustrations out on all of us, as he had me rip out all of the street side shrubbery, and Magnum was being charged for wear and tear on the Ferrari. On a brighter note, Higgins did seem to take some solace in tracing back his lineage, which gave us at least some reprieve from Typhoon Higgins and all his wrath.

So, needless to say Magnum was on a divorce case, and didn't seem particularly happy about it. He was in and out of the estate at all hours, so he must have been either working hard or trying to avoid paying Higgins. Imagine my surprise when Magnum showed up in the middle of the afternoon wanting to see Higgins. He claimed he met an Irish priest in a bar who looked exactly like Higgins! He ran into the house excitedly.

After they were in the house for awhile, I decided I should probably go and check on the two of them. Knowing Magnum, he would make some sort of glib remark about Higgins lineage quest and make life unbearable again. I wasn't going to make that mistake.

I overheard them talking about a "Father Paddy MacGuiness", who apparently was Higgins' half brother. Or, "Illegitimate half brother", as Higgins was quick to point out. Higgins was getting more and more agitated, so I decided to sit outside with the new maid and eavesdrop. From what I could gather, Papa Higgins got around and more than lived up to his name.

Higgins rambled on about the Queen Mothers wing of the Hawaiian Museum opening, which brought back a memory of why Higgins wanted me to pull out the shrubs. Brigadier Alistair Ffolkes was to be staying at the estate. Yes, he of the excessive body cavity searches that had me walking gingerly for about two weeks after he left. He, of the bullet holes in the bougainvillea from shooting that stewardess, and he of the... Well you get the point.

Magnum suggested that Higgins have Father Paddy stay at the estate, which seemed abhorrent to Higgins. But, I guess brotherly love won out, as Higgins soon left for the Low Surf motel. I actually know the manager there. He says he wants to start a production company someday... But all he seems interested in is hanging out. Oh well, to each their own.

Higgins returned with Father Paddy, who in the looks department, had some sort of strange "Middle Aged Male Parent Trap" thing going on, because they could very well have been the same person. A short peek into Father Paddys personality revealed that he was the anti-Higgins. As coarse as Higgins was refined. Unkempt as Higgins was buttoned up and a gleam in his eye that suggested he was up to no good. I liked him immediately. Higgins immediately had me take him on a tour of the islands, while the Brigadier showed up with the Queen Mothers tiara. I was more than happy to oblige.

The tour in and of itself was a delight with Father Paddy telling stories of Ireland and his church, and how he was on a "Mission from God" to recover a relic of St. Patrick's that was stolen from his Church by the Brigadier. He did have one request to go and buy some Irish Whiskey. He smelled like a distillery already, but once he said it was to have a little fun with the Brigadier... I made a U turn and went to the nearest liquor store I cold find. I told him the booze was on me. I also bought him a pack of cigarettes because everywhere we went, he kept picking through ashtrays. Some may say my hygiene is questionable due to all the compost I find myself in, but that grossed me out so much, I decided to feed the habit rather than watch him rummage anymore.

Father Paddy's little trick was more than I bargained for, as he replaced all of Higgins Scotch with Irish Whiskey! After Higgins read him the riot act, I confided in Father Paddy not to tell Higgins of my involvement. He told me it would be considered a confession and to say a few Hail Marys and get him another nip of Irish. (Higgins had poured out all the Irish we brought in retaliation.) Even though I wasn't Catholic, I decided to say them anyway and head back to the liquor store. If you tell the priest you're going to do something, you had better do it!

When we returned, it was almost time for dinner. Father Paddy was adamant in his resolve that he was going to confront the Brigadier about the theft. I made no effort to stop him. Agatha had shown up and found the entire situation to be delightful. I decided to hang around and watch the fireworks. It was all fun and games until Father Paddy said he stole the tiara!

Magnum soon returned and made an entrance just as Higgins was about to explode. Magnum diffused the situation and decided they all needed to chat about the circumstances. Everyone decided that the Brigadier was an honorable man (Father Paddy and I still have reservations in that one), but wouldn't have stolen the relic and that since Father Paddy was a priest he wasn't lying about it being stolen.

Magnum and Higgins drove Father Paddy and the Brigadier to the airport, as they decided to return to Northern Ireland together. When Magnum returned, he told me excitedly about ANOTHER Higgins sibling, Soo Ling, his half sister.

I thought of Elmo, who Higgins more than admirably passed himself out as, and his uncanny resemblance to Father Paddy. I then shuddered thinking about a female Asian version of Higgins and went to the study to see if I could find out if Father Paddy left any Irish around.

ESTACION TRES... ADIOS. HOLA ESACION CUATRO!!
Last edited by Doc Ibold on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConchRepublican

#152 Post by ConchRepublican »

"Mission from God" without dark sunglasses? :wink:

Another excellent entry!
CoziTV Superfan spot

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#153 Post by 308GUY »

"As coarse as Higgins was refined. Unkempt as Higgins was buttoned up and a gleam in his eye that suggested he was up to no good. I liked him immediately."

:lol: Great line!

Doc, you still got it. I'm still reading and enjoying, take your time, we'll wait, just don't quit.

Glad to see these have been upgraded to "sticky" status, well deserved, and easier to locate for us.

Keep up the good work, and you're forgiven for any delays caused by being a fan of "foosball" :D (terminology courtesy of Bobby Booshay's mama... :D )
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#154 Post by Doc Ibold »

SEASON FOUR

Home From The Sea:

Every Fourth of July, Americans consider it their right celebrate the Fourth in different ways. Sometimes it's a barbecue, or a ball game. In Hawaii, it might be going to the park with a special someone to watch the local fireworks and reflect on what made this country great.

Of course, it's mainly Americans who view it this way, as Higgins becomes a version of the Grinch leading up to it and doesn't get back to normal (or at least as "normal" as Higgins gets) until about a week afterwards. One would think this would be a major problem for Magnum, except that every Fourth of July he begins his lonely sojourn into the ocean for the better part of the day and end it with a six pack of Old Dusseldorf on the deck of the guesthouse watching the sun go down. I used to think it strange, and I asked Magnum once why he spent the Fourth by himself. The normally jovial Magnum just regarded me with a look and said "The Fourth means different things to different people, Kenji. I think being out on the ocean by myself is what it means to me."

I never asked him about it again, and just took it as another rhythm of Hawaii. Besides, Magnum always is bright as ever on July 5th, so I didn't really worry about it until this year.

The Fourth began as it always did with Higgins making up some excuse to do inventory, which kept me busy for the better part of the morning cleaning up the potting shed and making sure everything was accounted for down to the last bit of seed. I passed Magnum going down to the tidal pool, and he gave me a half wave and continued to stare out to the ocean on his way to the beach.

Luckily for me, the Inter Island polo tournament was being held over the 4th weekend and Higgins was preparing his battle strategy with Agatha, so the inventory went surprisingly quick. I was able to get out of the estate and head over to the club where I was going to meet Kiki for drinks and a quick brunch.

We had planned to see if TC could take us up in his chopper for a moonlight cruise, but he was busy taking his baseball team to the Islanders game and had to take a rain check, so we decided to make a day of it before the fireworks and Maku's family luau.

We ran into Rick as he was headed out on the King Kamehameha II with a girl he had met the night before. He gave me a wink, and wished Kiki and I a happy Fourth. We sat down and began brunch as we saw him leave the harbor. Soon after he left, two tourists rented a boat and nearly clipped some of the moored yachts. They were driving like fools, on a speedboat called the "Hot 'n Heavy", and were liable to get someone killed. I hoped that the police would pull them over before anything bad happened.

And then I thought of Magnum and got a bad feeling. I said a little prayer that he wouldn't run into them, and felt a little better once I realized the Hot 'n Heavy was going in the opposite direction of the estate and there was a LOT of ocean out there.

Kiki and I went to Maku's luau and we ended up spending a lot of time with her nieces and nephews, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Kiki noticed and we decided to call it a day. I dropped her off at her apartment and decided to go looking for Old Dusseldorf to bring to Magnum. When I got to the estate, Agatha was leaving, and in a tiff. I assumed it was due to Higgins being oblivious to her advances, as usual. But Agatha, of all people, should know that Higgins romantic side did NOT emerge on the Fourth of July.

I found him pacing the lanai, and asked if he saw Magnum. He told me he hadn't returned yet, but assumed he was out with Rick at the Boom Boom Room and took his surfski to the club. He put on a good act, but his eyes darting to the ocean told me otherwise. I told him that I forgot some equipment in the back of my van to add to the inventory and told him I would be staying around to finish it off. He absently agreed that would be a good idea, but his eyes never left the path to the tidal pool.

I hung around for awhile, and decided to rearrange the potting shed. When I couldn't find another reason to stay around at midnight, I went to the main house to bid Higgins good night. He was holding a brandy snifter and swirling it in his hand by the window. The intercom rang, and it was TC looking for Magnum. Once they had both confirmed they hadn't seen him return, Higgins buzzed him in. They headed immediately for the Guesthouse.

Rick soon called in in the CB. TC and Higgins told him that Magnum was still missing. They decided it would be best for Rick to stay where he was and that they would leave in the morning to do an aerial search.

Unbelievably, Magnum was treading water for nearly two days. Higgins and TC found him a few hundred yards off the King Kamehameha II. He was extremely dehydrated and sunburned but he was going to make a full recovery. Higgins, the guys, myself and even Agatha chipped in to buy him a new surf ski.

When he was able to come home from the hospital, we all surprised him with the surf ski. As everyone left, I decided to ask Magnum why he went out on the ocean by himself on the Fourth. I didn't expect an answer, but he very candidly opened an Old Dusseldorf and told me that his father was shot down in Korea and buried on the Fourth of July. He pointed to his watch and recounted that the watch he wore was his fathers. He also told me that he was positive that his fathers spirit, as well as thoughts of Michelle helped keep him alive during that time. His time on the sea was of his remembrance of his father being lost all those years ago and that that was the one place and day where he felt that his father was still with him... And the fact that he was sitting in that deck talking to me was proof that his feeling was the truth.

I have little doubt next year that Magnum will be out on the sea again, but he will not be as alone as he thinks he will be, whether it be from those above watching him, or all of us back on land waiting with some Old Dusseldorf for him to come home from the sea.

ConchRepublican

#155 Post by ConchRepublican »

Excellent Doc, excellent ....
CoziTV Superfan spot