The Files of Kenji, Staff Gardner - Robins Nest

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: The Files of Kenji, Staff Gardner - Robins Nest

#121 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:Kiki and I went to the party, where the majority of the time Rick was complaining about his girdle. I'm not sure why he decided to come as Marie Antoinette, but you can never be too sure with Rick. Higgins, as promised, came as Henry VIII, which made me wonder what he was doing all that time at the estate in costume as Kiki and I had gotten there an hour and a half before he did. Magnum was dressed up as a knight, in an actual suit of armor. I'm not sure how he got that over his cast.. But with everything else that was going on, I wasn't going to question it. At that point, I became convinced this was all a very weird, vivid dream. Magnum told me he had a dream once where he solved a case in the 1930s and it helped him solve one he was working on in the present. At the time, I nodded at him and smiled because I was pretty sure he had lost his mind, and that's the only thing I can think of doing to not provoke crazy people.
Haha! :)

My first thought is: what were they dressed as? Simón Bolívar for Kenji perhaps? Duke Kahanamoku for Kiki? ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#122 Post by Doc Ibold »

The Arrow That Is Not Aimed:

In working at Robins Nest for two plus years, I can safely say that I've been witness to the Magnum/Higgins dynamic at its best and at its worst. Sure, there are the various negotiations in which Higgins will request Magnums presence "elsewhere" for some function or another in exchange for Tennis Court privileges, usage of the VCR or some other concession of Higgins for a predetermined amount of time.

(Functions Magnum usually ends up making an appearance at anyhow, much to the amusement of everyone except Higgins)

There are other instances where Magnum will offer his services in exchange for some piece of equipment of Robin Masters which inevitably gets destroyed and/or damaged (most notably, the Ferrari) that Higgins will rage about for awhile and then go back to his daily routine and the whole process will begin anew. It's almost like the tide. It comes in, it goes out, and life returns back to normal (usually).

The one instance where transgression is unforgivable on Higgins part is when it comes to the lads. Anything they want or desire, he obliges. Of course he will never admit to it.. But it's a fact! Some electricians were wiring the house for multi room speakers and they had Van Halen playing on a cassette deck. The lads seemed unusually taken by it and seemed to enjoy it. A few days later, I could have sworn I heard Van Halen softly playing from the kitchen around the time Higgins usually prepares their dinner. When I went to investigate, the music suddenly cut off before I entered and I saw Higgins looking flustered and the lads looking put out (or as put out as dogs can look).

This particular transgression happened after Magnum had returned from a case and Van Halen ceased to be played on the estate. The lads were in a mood and seemed to chase after him more so than usual. While he was out on a jog, Higgins decided to retrieve Mr. Masters lens. When I saw him leave the guesthouse, he was furious. He wouldn't tell me why, but said he was looking forward to Magnum returning.

The next I saw of them was Higgins storming to the guesthouse with some dog repellant. I knew then Magnum was up a creek, as I realized the significance of the repellant and its connection to the lads. I guess lack of Van Halen wasn't the only thing making them cranky.

Higgins and the lads had their revenge, as I ran into Magnum sputtering and wiping his face headed toward the Ferrari. Higgins had given him a taste of his own medicine, as Magnum recounted. In order to appease Higgins (and keep the news from getting back to Robin), he had to track down a samurai warrior who was to deliver a plate for Mr. Masters.

I had to scratch my head at that one, but he was gone before I could ask him about it further.

Later that afternoon, the Ferrari returned with a samurai driving it, and an unconscious Magnum in the passenger seat. The man exited, slung Magnum over his shoulder and gave me a slight bow before he entered the main house. Normally one would find that a strange occurrance, but considering how we've had ballerinas, lovelorn fitness gurus, IRA bombers, tattooed dogs, security experts, sumo wrestlers, little people, Russian defectors, daredevil authors, a deranged heiress, deranged regimental comrades, killer actresses, cursed Ki'is, and pro wrestlers on the run from the mob make an appearance at one point or another, what was a samurai warrior?

Higgins related that the plate had been stolen from Tozan (by ninjas, nonetheless) and was going to charge Magnum to assist in getting it back. To complicate matters, Tozan had sworn on his honor to return the plate or commit seppuku. When Higgins told me that, I went pale. While I was born an American, I knew that seppuku wasn't anything to take for granted. Especially from someone like Tozan.

I had to admit, as Magnum made a few calls, I liked Tozan. He had complimented me on my skill in beautifying the estate and seemed very at peace with himself, while he was practicing swordplay. He had a zen way about him that really leant itself to the estate. I could see it rubbing off on Higgins as he started doing tai chi after a two year hiatus. Magnum still seemed skeptical, and I did everything I could to make him take Tozan seriously. He still laughed it off when they left to go to the club.

I heard from Keoki that Rick and TC didn't take him seriously until he chopped a candle in half in front of them. Once that happened, they got on board real quick. It did scare some of the clientele until Keoki convinced them it was part of an upcoming show at the club. I hoped for Rick's sake the members bought it.

That evening was a sense of Deja Vu to me, as while I was getting ready to leave the Ferrari roared up. Tozan was driving, and Magnum was passed out in the drivers seat. I must have looked concerned until Tozan spoke one word: Sake. Then I understood, but didn't envy Magnums hangover in the morning.

Magnums hangover must have been a doozy, as I saw him stumbling out of the guesthouse that Afternoon He looked like he had been run over by a truck! I tried to talk to him, but he winced and ran off.

That evening, Tozan came back and prepared for seppuku. This was getting almost out of hand, and I was tempted to call the police.. But I knew the loss of face of Tozan would be too much. Rick and TC stopped by with some information on the plate. Luckily Magnum was able to convince Tozan to accompany him to the docks.

Tozans impending seppuku didn't abate when they returned. In recovering the plate, it had been broken. I didn't want to be the one to tell Mr. Masters. But then I thought of Tozan. I decided to stay the night and see if there was anything I could do for Magnum and Tozan. Magnum and Higgins sat through the night. I knew it was a dumb question, as Magnum probably already thought of it, but I wondered why a dock front souvenir shop owner would have a priceless plate. How could he afford it?

Magnum got a gleam in his eye and excused himself to the study while Higgine went to bed. I fell asleep in the living room. When I awoke, Magnum, Higgins and Tozan were examining the remnants of the plate, which turned out to be a fake. They left for the hospital to meet the shopkeeper.

Tozan and Magnum recovered the plate, and Tozan left soon afterward. He presented Higgins with one f his swords, which Higgins gladly accepted. Magnum invited me down to the club with the guys for a celebratory drink. He and I soon left in the Ferrari. I had to stop off at the club office to drop off my men's time for the week. When I came to the bar, I was treated to the sight of Higgins chasing Magnum down the beach with Tozans samurai sword!
Last edited by Doc Ibold on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#123 Post by 308GUY »

Doc Ibold wrote:I heard from Kenji that Rick and TC didn't take him seriously until he chopped a candle in half in front of them. Once that happened, they got on board real quick. It did scare some of the clientele until Kenji convinced them it was part of an upcoming show at the club. I hoped for Ricks sake the members bought it.
Doc Ibold wrote:That evening was a sense of Deja Vu to me, as while I was getting ready to leave the Ferrari roared up. Tongan was driving, and Magnum was passed out in the drivers seat. I must have looked concerned until Tozan spoke one word: Sake. Then I understood, but didn't envy Magnums hangover in the morning.
Don't mean to nit-pick, just wondering if these (bold-underlined) are typo's or having ones mind on too many things at once, or if I'm just missing or not understanding something right?

If they are what you meant to type, then help me to see what I am missing, if they are not, then I'm just trying to help "proof-read" for you. :lol:

Either way, still enjoying your write ups and hope you will continue! :magnum:

The image of Higgins chasing TM along the beach with a sword, is fairly amusing, just as it was when watching the episode!
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#124 Post by Doc Ibold »

That was too much football and not enough Magnum! Plus the blankety blank auto correct on the iPad

It should be Keoki

Thanks for the catch!

:oops:

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#125 Post by The Birdman »

I'm confused by this whole thread. Who is Kenji? Was there a Kenji in the original MPI?
Uh PHRASING!!!!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#126 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hey Birdman,

Kenji is the gardner of Robins Nest. I think he may have :30 of screen time in the entire series, and is only mentioned a handful of times. It came about (somewhere) when I had riffed off a couple of lines on what an outsider to the whole Magnaverse would think of the exploits of Magnum, Higgins, Rick and TC.

Some of the forum members thought it would be a fun addition to the site, so I'm in the process of revisiting each episode through Kenji's eyes.. As in, what would the Gardner think of all this stuff happening that we take for granted (I.e. Higgins chasing Magnum with a samurai sword). We know what led up to it, but to Kenji's eyes, it's Higgins going nuts and chasing Magnum with a sword.

It's kind of a tongue in cheek look at the estate and its goings on, but also a speculation of how Kenji fit into the whole dynamic. You can't expect that throughout all the episodes, Kenji never got involved and just bumbled his way through the estate. I tend to blend a little reality with some fantasy in doing it, where I have him at one moment speculating that the adventures seem like a TV show, and other times having him be an active participant to explain some flubs, continuity errors and observe on some of the stranger aspects of the show.

The whole purpose isn't to make fun of the show, but have a little fun with it and go behind the scenes as well as develop Kenji as an actual character with thoughts, feelings and motivations.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#127 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm waiting for something missing that Magnum gets blamed for by Higgins to really be Kenji and that Magnum really, honestly, didn't do it!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#128 Post by J.J. Walters »

[quote="Doc Ibold from "Heal Thyself""]
MAGNUM: "Higgins! This is a terrible conversation!"
AGATHA: "And even worse of a thing to plan, Mr. Magnum"
HIGGINS: "Magnum, while unpleasant, this is the world we know"
MAGNUM: "There's nothing else you two can talk about?"
HIGGINS: "Magnum, of course this is nothing you would understand"
AGATHA: "I'm sorry, Mr. Magnum, this is a problem I should care to call my own"
HIGGINS: "Quite Magnum, it is all said and done now. I see by the greenish tinge you've had enough. Don't you have somewhere else to go?"[/quote]

Ok, I totally missed this the first time around, and thanks to Doc for tipping me off, but this whole conversation here is taken from the lyrics to the Umphrey's McGee song "Higgins", which was discussed here on the boards years ago! LOL! Brilliant Doc, bloody brilliant! I think I still have a live audio clip of this song somewhere on the site.... Ah yes, here it is: http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Umphreys_ ... ggins.html . Glad to say that UM is still going strong.

You rock, Doc! :)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#129 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:[quote="Doc Ibold from "Heal Thyself""]
MAGNUM: "Higgins! This is a terrible conversation!"
AGATHA: "And even worse of a thing to plan, Mr. Magnum"
HIGGINS: "Magnum, while unpleasant, this is the world we know"
MAGNUM: "There's nothing else you two can talk about?"
HIGGINS: "Magnum, of course this is nothing you would understand"
AGATHA: "I'm sorry, Mr. Magnum, this is a problem I should care to call my own"
HIGGINS: "Quite Magnum, it is all said and done now. I see by the greenish tinge you've had enough. Don't you have somewhere else to go?"
Ok, I totally missed this the first time around, and thanks to Doc for tipping me off, but this whole conversation here is taken from the lyrics to the Umphrey's McGee song "Higgins", which was discussed here on the boards years ago! LOL! Brilliant Doc, bloody brilliant! I think I still have a live audio clip of this song somewhere on the site.... Ah yes, here it is: http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Umphreys_ ... ggins.html . Glad to say that UM is still going strong.

You rock, Doc! :)[/quote]

Thank you sir, I aim to please!

In case you didn't pick it up, the little boy is there for a reason as well.

And Conch, I haven't forgotten about you old buddy. The problem is that Magnum ends up being responsible for most of the things he does!

:?

Worry not, I'll make it happen. Basket Case and Birdman are up next!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#130 Post by Doc Ibold »

Basket Case:

Competition is supposed to bring out the best in people, but in my experience, I don't always believe that is the case. Mr. Masters is supporting a youth basketball team in an upcoming game to raise money for charity. However, it seemed to become more of a curse than a blessing. Most of it started when Rick started placing bets on who would win between TCs youth league team and Robins team of All Stars, of which my nephew Luke was playing on.

Rick wanted me to put a wager down since I tend to have more than an average amount of luck when it comes to wagers on sporting events, hidden as always in my compost pile in the potting shed... Save for some of my investments which have been turning a pretty decent profit lately.

I decided to turn him down, but he decided to switch course and ask me to keep an eye out on the team and let me know if I saw anything interesting. I had to turn him down on that as well, as like Magnum, I know where my bread is buttered and helping on a gambling wager on a kids game for my employer would probably not look to well for me if I got caught. Besides, I DO have some ethics and betting on kids crosses that line.

For some reason, I doubted my refusal would stop Rick much.

TC was holding most of his practices down at the park, and from what I heard from Rick.. TCs team were the real All Stars. I just hoped Robins version would be able to hang in there. I had watched some of Magnums practices and it wasn't looking promising. Magnum was being a good sport about it though and refused to get inside information from him.

Higgins had even gotten into the basketball fever that was surrounding the estate. Instead of working on the memoirs or running inventory as he usually does, I found him drawing up plays in the study. He insists on being a part of the team and spends most of his time discussing the spear or "floating zone" defense that he claimed to have employed (and invented) in North Africa when he played with someone called R. Duke Gilberry on the North African Anglo squad.

Magnum seems to take this all in stride, but even though I'm not a basketball scholar, I had never heard of either the player or the scheme Higgins invented. I suspected he just made them up to involve himself. Either way, Robins All Stars needed a miracle.

As luck would have it, that miracle came in the form of a girl by the name of Willie who Magnum found on the court. She claimed to know Bill Walton, which seemed to be a pretty implausible story.

Magnum ended up bringing the All Stars to Robins Nest to avoid TC's spies, where he set up shop on the Tennis Court. I figured this to be a bad idea from the start, as Higgins and kids do not seem to get along, as evidenced by the little girls who stole Mr. Masters Gauguin at Chirstmas a few years back. An irritated "Oh My God" only confirmed my suspicions, but at least Higgins was keeping up with the stress release technique I taught him!

Higgins eventually resigned himself to his fate and busied himself with teaching the kids the potty shot when Willie arrived after her tour of the estate. I stopped her and advised her to get to the courts before Higgins found her. She didn't do herself any favors by referring to Higgins as "Higgy" (something only TC seems to be away with) and "The Butler" (which no one gets away with) and assuming Robins Nest belonged to Magnum. (Which Magnum never seems to deny)

The lads seemed to like her, which was a point in her favor. She soon wandered over to the main house where I was sure she would meet her doom if Higgins still had his samurai sword. I was in the middle of placing a call for next years Dutch tulips, so I couldn't stop her. When I finally got to the house, I found the two of them cleaning walnuts on the floor and regaling each other with the most obscure facts and stories.

I had to revise my earlier assumption, I think "Willie the Weapon" became Higgins favorite guest of Magnum's ever. Seeing as she was in no danger of decapitation, I left the odd little scene behind to go and call TC and politely ask he and Rick not to send spies, if only for sportsmanships sake. TC gave me the most curious answer in that neither he nor Rick were sending spies. He did tell me to check the bushes because he could Rick hiding in some during his practice. Since lying is not a trait of TCs, I decided to talk to Magnum.

Magnum told me that some guy who looked like he was straight out of Deliverance was following them all the way from the park after they picked up Willie. He asked me if I could discreetly follow him after he dropped off all of the kids after practice at Robins Nest and see where Willie went. He didn't seem to think Willie was shooting straight either.

I called Kiki and asked her if she could pick me up a few blocks from Robins Nest. She did, and we checked to see where Willie went, she ended up going into a park where she was grabbed by... A guy who looked straight out of Deliverance. He took her to a house, where there were a ton of kids. Kiki recognized it immediately. She had graduated the year before for the University with a degree in social work and was working for the state. She told me it was the house of Bob and Vera Sweeney, a couple who took in foster kids for the money, and rumor had it, groomed them to be sneak thieves. No one could prove it.. But it wasn't a good sign for young Willie.

We went back to the estate and told Higgins and Magnum. I assumed Higgins would throw a fit, but he was surprisingly calm about the entire situation. He told me that he believed Willie to be a fine girl, although a little rough around the edges. Magnum decided to investigate as well and called Rick over to provide some "insurance", as he put it. When I pressed him, he just winked and asked Kiki if she could look into the records of the Sweeneys. He took Higgins aside and whispered something in Higgins ear. At first, he seemed appalled, but then nodded in agreement and went to the study to start loading film into Robins camera and asked me if I would see Kiki home.

TC came raging into the yard and threatened to kill Magnum for his ringer. After some good old fashioned smack talk, they decided to settle it on the court. Kiki left and promised to check in later that night over dinner. TC and Magnum proceeded to play a spirited game. TC was solid and had a nice shot from the perimeter, and was pretty hard to stop from driving to the hoop, whereas Magnum had more of a low post game and height advantage. It all ended when Zeus popped the ball.. With his teeth.

Higgins delivered some film to Rick, who pocketed it and said he should be able to have something in a day or so.. But would require some up front payment. Normally, Rick asking Higgins for payment was a recipe for disaster, but Higgins paid out of the house fund without complaint and Rick soon left.

The next few days passed without any sign of Willie, and Magnum was getting more agitated by the minute, His star was gone and his chances of winning were fading as quick as a Waikiki sunset. Kiki brought some news in saying the Sweeneys were also being investigated by some insurance companies for a string of hit an run accidents bilking tourists, one of which Willie was seen pocketing money.

I couldn't figure out why Magnum and Higgins were allowing someone like that on the team. I figured it had to be that winning was the only thing that mattered. They just grinned at each other like they were sharing a private joke,

Willie finally arrived, and I let her isn't the gate. She then told Magnum a whopper about her mothers car battery, which I knew to be a lie because A) Magnum knew she didn't live at the address and claimed to have gone there to pick her up and B) I saw a man drive away after she rang at the gate.

Magnum tore into her and she told her story, which, if true, was one of the most depressing stories I had ever heard. Higgins then tore into Magnum for his "insensitivity". Magnum soon left, and when he returned.. He announced she was coming by for dinner that night. I wasn't sure of the whole idea, even if she did seem to come clean when Rick arrived with several boxes and I learned of the plan.

Magnum had enlisted Rick to work his contacts to have replicas made of all of the items in the living room. Higgins took pictures of everything to provide a reference and had given Rick some funds to pay off the contacts. They had determined to put Willie through a little test. We spent the majority of the evening replacing everything in the living room with Ricks fakes and securing the actuals. Magnum and Higgins instructed me to stay Kate and leave the gates unlocked in case Vera and Bob made an appearance. They were betting in the fact Willie wouldn't go through with it, and be able to catch Vera and Bob in the act. In case Vera and Bob did escape, they would have nothing but cheap replicas for their troubles. Magnum called TC and they went in search of Lee, he of the Deliverance look, just to be sure of the story.

The night came, and Willie arrived on schedule. So did Vera and Bob. And just as predicted, Willie turned in Vera and Bob. I was glad to see Willie had come through, and was proud of her taking her stand. Vera and Bob were taken into custody.

The day of the day came and went with Willie dominating, but Robins All Stars eventually lost when Willie went against instinct and passed the ball off to a teammate who missed a buzzer beater.

A footnote on Theresa "Willie" Henderson. All of the children under Vera and Bobs watch we're placed into new homes. Willie stayed at the estate for awhile until she could be placed with a new family. She ended up moving in with a fine family, due to the investigations of Magnum and Higgins and a little help from Kiki. They ended up moving to the mainland after the father got a new job. Willie and Higgins corresponded for quite some time, but eventually lost touch. Higgins seems to think it will be an excellent addendum to his chapter on basketball and the North African Anglos.
Last edited by Doc Ibold on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#131 Post by Sisophous »

Doc Ibold wrote:Basket Case:

I had to revise my earlier assumption, I think "Willie the Weapon" became Higgins favorite guest ever.
Doc, guess what, this is one of, if not my favorite episode. Dana Hill is fantastic and I don't even like basketball. The plot is idiotic though, it is like watching an episode of Gilligan's Island. I just enjoyed it from start to finish and it was nice to see Higgins and Dana Hill interact. In real life, Dana Hill appears to have been a Tom Boy and she played the role perfectly as little Willie. From her acting skills you can tell she is much older than her looks of a 12 or 13 year old girl.

A short bio on her is worth a quick read:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0384162/bio? ... _ov_bio_sm

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#132 Post by Doc Ibold »

Thanks Sisophus!

Your quote made me revise it to "Magnum's favorite guest ever"

I'm sure Higgy Baby had people there who he liked more, but Magnum never brought them by!

:wink:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#133 Post by Doc Ibold »

Birdman Of Budapest:

Zany is rarely a word associated with Jonathan Quayle Higgins. The man in and of himself is usually the epitome of British stoicism, composure and restraint (aside from some lapses here and there when it comes to one Thomas Sullivan Magnum). So it is a rare occasion indeed when the calm exterior of Higgins is ruffled to the point of near lunacy. What could cause such a dramatic change in demeanor one might ask? A little 'ol schoolteacher by the name of Elizabeth Barrett

I should have known something was up when Magnum went on a cleaning kick in the guesthouse. I had stopped by to drop off some Old Dusseldorf that I had found in a store while I took an extended weekend with Kiki on the other side of the island. Magnum is always searching for it, so I figured it would be a nice surprise for him. He was quite enthusiastic about it and asked if I would join him to crack one open after he collected a payment from a client of his when Higgins summoned me from the main house. I promised to stop by later that afternoon and he went back to cleaning.

I went to the main house where Higgins debriefed me on the arrival of one Elizabeth Barrett. Mr. Masters old teacher. He had asked me to postpone the crew aerating the lawn as he didn't want to disturb her during her stay. He seemed very intent on giving her a proper introduction to the estate. He was on his way to go chat with Magnum to ask him to be on his best behavior.

Magnum soon left to collect his payment, and Higgins soon left afterwards. I was a little nervous about meeting Mr. Masters teacher and mentor but a little curious as well.

When she arrived, my apprehension was replaced by shock. She was anything but a prim and proper schoolteacher. She was loud and boisterous, and was chugging wine! Not to mention the macaw she brought with her as well. Higgins certainly had his hands full, and they got even fuller when a muddied Magnum came onto the scene.

When Magnum was hosing himself out, he told me that he liked Ms. Barrett, but he wasn't sure Higgins was going to. She had already commandeered the study so she could work on her book. Higgins wasn't going to like that, but sometimes turnabout is fair play for all the times he tries to remove Magnum from the guest house in favor of some special guest or another.

I decided to stick around and see how it turned out. She definitely did not like Higgins, as she took every instance to stick a few barbs in him (when she wasn't pounding glass after glass of wine.)

I finally decided to excuse myself for the night and found Higgins coming up from the wine cellar muttering angrily as he climbed the stairs. I had a feeling this visitor was going to rank up there with some of the people Magnum had brought by in terms of guests.

The next morning, I was pretty sure that the Lady Ashley was about to pay another visit to the estate as I found Higgins "stretching" on the front lawn. It looked like he dusted off the old track suit and was getting ready to get back into fighting weight. He told me that Elizabeth wanted to go jogging and she wouldn't do it alone. He had asked me if I could drive them out to the mountain side of the estate so they run back to the main house. He claimed that he didn't want to overly exert Ms. Barrett, but I figured he didn't want to make the entire run himself.

Throughout the ride out, Ms. Barrett raved on and on about a Dr. Tessa who lived on the island and would be a great final chapter to her book. I dropped them off, but decided I should hang back and follow the, to make sure nothing happened. Turns out we didn't need to worry about Ms. Barrett as she nimbly jogged along. The same couldn't be said for Higgins. When they finally stopped, and I caught up with them, Higgins snapped from exhaustion as he started making a sound that I can only describe as some sort of keening squeal at the top of his lungs!

When we returned, Higgins decided to make a run into town. Ms. Barrett pulled me aside and asked me where she could find some pruning shears. She said that she wanted to clip a few flowers for her room. I didn't see the harm in it, so I took her to the potting shed and showed her the tools and told her to clip as many as she wanted. She thanked me profusely and we soon parted.

Magnum soon decided to take Ms. Barrett's case as a "personal favor to Mr. Masters". I personally think that he just liked Ms. Barrett and wanted to help out a little old lady. Higgins started taking long walks onto the beach with the lads.. I assume if only to escape her. The next time I saw him, he was grinning broadly. He told me had just hired Magnum to find Dr. Tessa, and it only cost him some estate privileges for Magnum, Rick and TC. I was in shock, because "only costing estate privileges" constituted he was considering hiring Magnum for pay! I decided I should neglect to mention I knew that Magnum was doing it gratis for Ms. Barrett.

After the squealing incident and now this, I was convinced Higgins had truly lost it.

Magnum soon returned and asked to borrow the Jimmy. He was headed out to find Dr. Tessa, and Higgins gleefully gave him the keys and even packed him a lunch! Rick and TC came by and told Higgins they needed to borrow the Ferrari. Lucid Higgins wood have erupted, but he almost as gleefully gave them the keys to the Ferrari, but was soon interrupted by Ms. Barrett demanding that he take her to the pet store to buy some food for Merlin, the Macaw. Higgins insisted on going by himself. I was busy training a Junior Groundskeeper, but noticed we had run out of oil for some of the garden tools. I told Jake, the groundskeeper to keep an eye on things and do whatever he could to placate Ms. Barrett.

It turned out to be one of the bigger mistakes I had ever made. I ended up getting a flat and it took me a little more time than usual to return. When I came back, I saw that the Ferrari was there with a gigantic hole in the window. Knowing that Rick and TC were using it, seeing as Magnum was borrowing the Jimmy... It was not going to go over well with Higgins.

I then noted something else was amiss. I know every rock, tree, shrub and flower on the estate. So when something is missing, I know it as if I'm missing a limb. The bougainvillea on the East Wing Trellis was gone. This was even worse, as its the one plant on the estate Higgins won't let me tend to. He insists on doing it himself. It's too high up for Ms. Barrett to reach, so she must have had Jake do it.

I had to find him before Higgins did. I searched the estate high and low, but found no sign of him. I did, however, find a broken Higgins sitting on the beach with the lads. Judging from the pile of cigarette butts, he had to have been there for awhile. He was singing his Sandhurst motto over and over again and puffing furiously. I had asked him if he saw Jake, and he kept muttering "he was a good lad, but he had to go. He was a good lad, but had to go." He threw away the cigarette and lit another. I finally asked him where Jake was and he absentmindedly said he sent him home to let him escape Elizabeth.

It was official, Higgins was unhinged. I decided I needed to go find out from Jake if he was still employed at the estate.. or even more importantly, determine if he was even still alive. I gently reminded Higgins that it looked like Magnum was back, and maybe he had some info on Dr. Tessa. He stood up with a glassy look in his eye and trudged to the guest house.

I think even Magnum was a little freaked out, because he scooped up Ms. Barrett and took her out to where he thought he found Dr. Tessa. I had just gotten back from Jakes, who decided to quit rather than come back to the estate. He thought Higgins was just too "weird and creepy" to decide to stay. After the past few days, I couldn't blame him. Higgins seemed to relax, but he rather mean spiritedly decided to chain Merlin. Rick arrived and went over to the guest house.

Magnum returned with Elizabeth who claimed it wasn't Dr. Tessa, but she decided to go for a drive with Merlin. Higgins nearly lost it again. I was afraid he might start making that weird squealing noise again.
As Higgins trudged into the main house, I told Magnum that Rick was waiting for him in the guest house. Magnum soon left.

He soon came racing towards the main house, and the next thing I knew, he and Higgins were roaring off in the Audi.

When they returned, I think Magnum caught some of Higgins recent instability, they said that Elizabeth was actually a KGB spy sent to kill Tessa. Magnum claimed she used him as a stalking horse and they tracked her to Tessa's home. When I asked how they caught her, Higgins replied that she set Merlin the macaw on Magnum. It turns out he was a trained attack macaw? When I asked how they escaped from the macaw, Magnum told me that Higgins used a call that scared the bird into TCs chopper blades.

I asked Higgins what the call was, but the memory of Elizabeth must have set him off because he started making his squealing screeching noise again.

I decided I'd better take another vacation to let Higgins get back to normal.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#134 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:I then noted something else was amiss. I know every rock, tree, shrub and flower on the estate. So when something is missing, I know it as if I'm missing a limb. The bougainvillea on the East Wing Trellis was gone. This was even worse, as its the one plant on the estate Higgins won't let me tend to. He insists on doing it himself.
Doc Ibold wrote:When they returned, I think Magnum caught some of Higgins recent instability, they said that Elizabeth was actually a KGB spy sent to kill Tessa. Magnum claimed she used him as a stalking horse and they tracked her to Tessa's home. When I asked how they caught her, Higgins replied that she set Merlin the macaw on Magnum. It turns out he was a trained attack macaw? When I asked how they escaped from the macaw, Magnum told me that Higgins used a call that scared the bird into TCs chopper blades.

I asked Higgins what the call was, but the memory of Elizabeth must have set him off because he started making his squealing screeching noise again.

I decided I'd better take another vacation to let Higgins get back to normal.
Haha! You did "Birdman of Budapest" proud, Doc. I knew you would. Love it! :)

Hey, don't forget about Keo the maid. We don't meet her until "Professor Jonathan Higgins", but it's probably safe to say that she was around before that. She may have been there all along, just off camera, cleaning rooms. Perhaps maybe Kenji and Keo are more than just co-workers? ;)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#135 Post by Doc Ibold »

I Do?

Whenever I think that Robins Nest is settling into a routine, something eventually comes up to change that perception. This routing shaking occurrence happened when Thomas Sullivan Magnum decided to get married. It was about as unexpected as they come and a whirlwind 2 week courtship. Everyone had their own reactions. Rick and TC were dejected, while Higgins was just befuddled and a tad bit annoyed. Kiki was NOT a tad bit annoyed, she was a LOT annoyed. She keeps telling me that "If I like, it, I'd better out a ring on it"

I, my relationship woes notwithstanding, was simply confused. The new lady (one Marsha Mackenzie) and soon to be Mrs. Thomas Magnum bore a striking resemblance to the school teacher who brought the children who stole the Gauguin several years back.... But no one seems to notice! I figured Higgins would be enraged, but he seemed to go with it, and was more concerned about Magnum's future uncle in law.

The wedding itself was a nice affair, if done on the cheap. The champagne glasses were plastic, the brother in law seemed beyond hostile. Since Kiki and I weren't on good terms, I was solo at the party. The one thing of note was that there was a Karaoke machine after the band left. Higgins, uncharacteristically, decided to sing "The Yellow Rose of Texas", while TC decided to do some Miracles and Temptations covers. (Quite Well, I might add). The last thing I remember was Rick and I doing a duet of "All By Myself" long after Magnum and Marsha left the reception. The champagne may have been cheap, but it did pack a wallop!

The next morning was luckily low key. Higgins had left that morning for his Ornithological Society breakfast. I had to head to the club to give the crew their tasks. Was that ever a mistake. Higgins was raging that someone was in the Rainbow Room. I decided to check out who committed the infraction and saw that it was Magnum and his family. I do think that may have set Higgins off. Hopefully, not like Elizabeth Barrett. The world needs less squealing.

On another note, it seemed that Rick was feeling the after effects too. Which, didn't help him in his negotiations with Higgins. Rick and TC were headed over to Magnums new honeymoon for dinner. I wasn't completely hurt that I wasn't invited.

I decided to work late one evening, and to my surprise, Magnum showed up! He told me that the marriage was a ruse to run a sting on someone who was stealing from Mackenzie enterprises. He asked me if I wanted to help play a part and act like a buyer for some stolen goods. For whatever reason, I decided to listen. He said that Harry was the real thief and he set up a sting to catch the fake thief, who he wanted Magnum and Marsha to believe was Andrew. Magnum figured out the plot and decided to pull a sting on Uncle Harry while still going along with the original sting. He figured by the buy going south, Uncle Harry would make his move while the buy team was in jail.

After hearing that insane plan, I decided to humor him like the time he told me he solved a case in his dreams and told him I had to go bowling that morning. He took it in stride.

He asked if I could not mention that he was there, as he was hiding out from Marsha, who turned out to be not so great of a fake wife. We had a few beers while watching the USC / Notre Dame game before I left. As I was walking towards the gate, I saw Higgins pointing irritatedly to the guest house and Marsha heading hurriedly there. I think Magnums night alone was coming to an end.

The next time I ran into Magnum, Uncle Harry was in jail and Magnum was in a neck brace, with Higgins tending to him. Rick stopped by to do estate finances and TC flew in to pick up Higgins for some photography. Neither seemed particularly happy to be there.

I had to wonder though. Did Magnum actually get married? I don't think you can rent out a church for a fake marriage. Plus Magnum said he DID get married, but "not really married". So does he have to get a divorce or an annulment? Wasn't he always married to Michelle? And in that case, did he ever get a divorce from Michelle? Or was he even married to her in the first place since her husband was alive when they got married? So does that make him a bigamist now?

My head was spinning like the night of Magnums faux (or was it?) marriage, and this Magnum Marriage Mashup along with his convoluted "Sting" plan made me decide to go home and try and patch things up with Kiki.