Six Degrees of Magnum P.I. (Game)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Six Degrees of Magnum P.I. (Game)

#321 Post by 308GUY »

Ok, we'll go with the "negative" of the benefit of the doubt...it didn't count....BUT

Richard Dawson was in an episode of "Mama's Family" in 1983...which also had Carol Burnett, on occasion,(6 episodes..but then we could go with the ties to The Carol Burnett show... :) ), who we all know was Rembrandt's Girl! 8)

There are so many ways to go with this one, just went with the one that presented itself first.

Good job on WC!

How about Hayley Mills?
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

waverly2211
Captain

#322 Post by waverly2211 »

308GUY wrote:Ok, we'll go with the "negative" of the benefit of the doubt...it didn't count....BUT

Richard Dawson was in an episode of "Mama's Family" in 1983...which also had Carol Burnett, on occasion,(6 episodes..but then we could go with the ties to The Carol Burnett show... :) ), who we all know was Rembrandt's Girl! 8)

There are so many ways to go with this one, just went with the one that presented itself first.

Good job on WC!

How about Hayley Mills?
For Dawson, how about

Dawson in an episode of McCloud with Tina Sinatra

Tina was in the Fantasy Island pilot with Peter Lawford

Lawford in Oceans 11 with Frank Sinatra

Sinatra in MPI

waverly2211
Captain

#323 Post by waverly2211 »

308GUY wrote:Ok, we'll go with the "negative" of the benefit of the doubt...it didn't count....BUT

Good job on WC!

How about Hayley Mills?
Mills was in a episode of Murder She Wrote with Angela Lansbury.

Lansbury in MPI.

Has Harold Lloyd beed connected?

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#324 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Harold Lloyd was in "The Cats Paw" with Una Merkel, she was in "It's A Joke, Son!" with June Lockhart who played in MPI episode "Lest We Forget" Next how bout Tim Allen
That reminds me of the time....

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#325 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Tim Allen was in Galaxy Quest with Alan Rickman, who costarred with TS in Quigley Down Under. :)

Next, if not done already: Dean Jones

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#326 Post by 308GUY »

waverly2211 wrote: For Dawson, how about

Dawson in an episode of McCloud
Coulda stopped right there....yes? Wasn't McCloud played by Dennis Weaver? :lol:

Don't have time to search Dean Jones ATM, nothing "obvious" comes to mind.

But I KNOW somebody on here already has the answer/connection! :magnum:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#327 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

308GUY wrote:
waverly2211 wrote: For Dawson, how about

Dawson in an episode of McCloud
Coulda stopped right there....yes? Wasn't McCloud played by Dennis Weaver? :lol:

Don't have time to search Dean Jones ATM, nothing "obvious" comes to mind.

But I KNOW somebody on here already has the answer/connection! :magnum:
Dean Jones was in The Love Bug with Buddy Hackett. Hackett was in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World with Dick Shawn, who was in Magnum PI.

Next Up: Aldo Ray, the great character actor.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#328 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Aldo Ray starred in Miss Sadie Thompson with Jose Ferrer. :)

Next: Walter Matthau :D

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#329 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:Aldo Ray starred in Miss Sadie Thompson with Jose Ferrer. :)
Hi Chick,
Matthau was in The Bad News Bears with Jodie Foster who was in Bonanza with Dan Blocker who was in Lady in Cement with Frank Sinatra who was in Magnum.

Next up: D. Trump, a NYC businessman who has moved down south somewhere(was in a surprising number of tv shows/movies).
This pick is meant in fun, weather you think he is a buffoon or not, we can keep this civil, guys.

waverly2211
Captain

#330 Post by waverly2211 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
thechickinthemiddle wrote:Aldo Ray starred in Miss Sadie Thompson with Jose Ferrer. :)
Hi Chick,
Matthau was in The Bad News Bears with Jodie Foster who was in Bonanza with Dan Blocker who was in Lady in Cement with Frank Sinatra who was in Magnum.

Next up: D. Trump, a NYC businessman who has moved down south somewhere(was in a surprising number of tv shows/movies).
This pick is meant in fun, weather you think he is a buffoon or not, we can keep this civil, guys.
Trump in an episode of the Jeffersons with Michael Yama

Yama in Black Sheep Squadron with Larry Manetti

Manetti in MPI

Next up
Wayne Gretzky

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#331 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Wayne Gretzky was on SNL with Phil Hartman, who voiced the newsreel announcer in "The Legacy of Garwood Huddle". :)

Next: Harry Shearer

waverly2211
Captain

#332 Post by waverly2211 »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:Wayne Gretzky was on SNL with Phil Hartman, who voiced the newsreel announcer in "The Legacy of Garwood Huddle". :)

Next: Harry Shearer
Harry Shearer in an episode of Miami Vice with Don Johnson

Johnson in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man with Robert Ginty

Ginty in Hawaiian heat with Marta DuBois

DuBois in MPI

Have we done JFK?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#333 Post by ConchRepublican »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
308GUY wrote:Had to jump in here on this one....cause I didn't have to "look anything up"... :lol:
Richard Dawson was in Hogan's Hero's with Ivan Dixon, who directed a number of MPI episodes...unless it doesn't count because he was behind the camera?

Have we done W.C. Fields already? :magnum:
308Guy,
Not to be a wowser or anything but I don't think it counts. Could Judge Conch, creator of this thread, rule on this please?
I think behind the scenes talent, tech people, that's stretching it, because then you might as well throw in everybody at the studio.
By the way, Ivan Dixon(Kinch on Hogans Hero) was a very interesting guy, the talent he had as a actor and director far eclipsed all the other people in Hogan's Heroes.
I do like your WC Fields challenge. Fields was in The Bank Dick(if you haven't seen this classic comedy you have been cheating yourself) with Shemp Howard. Shemp appeared with his brother Moe in the 3 Stooges, after Shemp died Moe appeared with two other Stooges in Four For Texas with Frank Sinatra. Frank was in Magnum.

So, Conchmeister, what about Richard Dawson?
First, to be fair Styles is the originator of this wonderful game, I just created the BOOM. :magnum:

Sorry for my delay in judgement here, but I have to rule in favor of Luther's nephew Dobie, behind the scenes talent shouldn't be included, I think that would muddy the waters a bit too much.

Thankfully you didn't wait for the ruling.

Continue on Maniacs!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#334 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

waverly2211 wrote:[quote

Have we done JFK?
Waverly,
Maybe you should try another person, I don't think JFK can be linked.
I believe the closest - I could be wrong - he came to a tv series was when Mister Parker on McHales Navy complained a new Pt boat transferred to the base was skippered by a young commander with a Boston accent so thick he could hardly understand it, Parker then imitates JFK flawlessly, we then get a shot of the new skipper's boat, it's PT 109.
Just an aside, at times Joe Flynn as Captain Binghampton would make fun of Ernest Borgnine.
When Borgnine would chew the scenery, Flynn would mutter things like "you'd think a Oscar winner could act" as Borgnine would crack up, the producers thankfully leaving such inside jokes in.
So Borgnine was in Magnum, and JFK's PT boat was on Borgnine's tv series, but that won't make the cut for Six Degrees.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#335 Post by 308GUY »

Well...there's the list of stars that visited the white house, some of whom probably met JFK, but they were never in a show or movie with him.

Then maybe there's the tie to Marilyn Monroe, who can, and maybe has been (I think I remember seeing her as one of the stars to link) linked through other stars to MPI, but he (JFK) was never in a show or movie with her, (at least none that are available to the "public"! :shock: :wink: ) So maybe another "random celebrity" should be chosen?

Here's the original post by Styles, outlining the "rules":

Styles Bitchley wrote:Hello All,

Here's your chance to show off your Magnum P.I. knowledge by attempting to connect a random Hollywood personality to the show in less than six connections. Think of it as a Magnumized version of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. To be honest, I'm not sure how well it will work, but there's only one way to know.

To clarify:the random celebrity has to have worked on a movie or tv show with another for them to be "linked."

Here's a random example: Sean Connery.

1) Sean Connery worked with Catherine Zeta-Jones on Entrapment (1999)
2) Catherine Zeta-Jones was in Traffic with Michael Douglas (2000)
3) Michael Douglas was in Basic Instinct with Sharon Stone (1992)
4) Sharon Stone appeared in Echoes of the Mind (1984)

If you can do it in fewer connections or more creatively, you win.

The first personality drawn out of my magical hat is: Carrie Fisher. Good luck.

So I guess it's one of those "hair splitting" exercises, but according to the "official" rules, it may be hard to link a politician, unless he was also an actor....Ronald Reagan maybe...or Arnold...or maybe even Jessie Ventura, or Al Franken? :magnum: