“These writers really know Hawaii.” What made you think it?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

“These writers really know Hawaii.” What made you think it?

#1 Post by Mark de Croix »

What scene gave you the feeling of authenticity--that the MPI writers know Hawaii intimately?
Doing the show in Hawaii doesn't guarantee authenticity. Anyone with a plane ticket and camera can do a Hawaiian show. But not necessarily well. So let me start off.

On my first trip to Hawaii I curiously found out about Haole despite the land is in the U.S. of A. It's very real--this matter--because the scene I describe I sent a vid of it to my friend living there. I was curious. He must have felt or had a Haole sense because obviously it must be an important issue in Hawaii. Well, friends, the issue is so sensitive apparently for him that he gave me no reply. Subsequently he evaded the topic. :lol: Oh, well.

The scene is TM & TC driving to North Shore through the countryside to hunt up a Kahuna, living in a native hamlet. On the way TC reads aloud for TM a cultural guidebook about Kahunas. Good God we are all American citizens but it's like they are about to enter a foreign land. (Please, please dispense any :wink: impulse to go "multicultural" with me because I've lived successfully in various foreign cultures. Excuse me, for the PC crowd, in my view, go so extreme that they ignore reality. I quite understand cultural difference but similarity exists as well. :D )

They pull up to an isolated, run-down looking ma & pa store but outside they see a menacing-looking native Hawaiian or two who peer at them. Both our heroes express fear. Wow, it impacted me because first, it is the U. S. of A. and we should be familiar with each other. :roll: Second, being a stranger is a real experience found nearly everywhere. Third, the screen writers appear to be well aware of the actual intercultural friction on the islands. For example some Haole children complain of bullying by native Hawaiians at school. This friction is all encapsulated by this short scene and TM's handling of it superb. This scene more than other made me feel, "these guys really know Hawaii."

How about you? Any particular scene make you feel that way? (BTW, I wanted to upload a vid of the scene but I guess we can't do so here.)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: “These writers really know Hawaii.” What made you think it?

#2 Post by Pahonu »

Mark de Croix wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:35 am What scene gave you the feeling of authenticity--that the MPI writers know Hawaii intimately?
Doing the show in Hawaii doesn't guarantee authenticity. Anyone with a plane ticket and camera can do a Hawaiian show. But not necessarily well. So let me start off.

On my first trip to Hawaii I curiously found out about Haole despite the land is in the U.S. of A. It's very real--this matter--because the scene I describe I sent a vid of it to my friend living there. I was curious. He must have felt or had a Haole sense because obviously it must be an important issue in Hawaii. Well, friends, the issue is so sensitive apparently for him that he gave me no reply. Subsequently he evaded the topic. :lol: Oh, well.

The scene is TM & TC driving to North Shore through the countryside to hunt up a Kahuna, living in a native hamlet. On the way TC reads aloud for TM a cultural guidebook about Kahunas. Good God we are all American citizens but it's like they are about to enter a foreign land. (Please, please dispense any :wink: impulse to go "multicultural" with me because I've lived successfully in various foreign cultures. Excuse me, for the PC crowd, in my view, go so extreme that they ignore reality. I quite understand cultural difference but similarity exists as well. :D )

They pull up to an isolated, run-down looking ma & pa store but outside they see a menacing-looking native Hawaiian or two who peer at them. Both our heroes express fear. Wow, it impacted me because first, it is the U. S. of A. and we should be familiar with each other. :roll: Second, being a stranger is a real experience found nearly everywhere. Third, the screen writers appear to be well aware of the actual intercultural friction on the islands. For example some Haole children complain of bullying by native Hawaiians at school. This friction is all encapsulated by this short scene and TM's handling of it superb. This scene more than other made me feel, "these guys really know Hawaii."

How about you? Any particular scene make you feel that way? (BTW, I wanted to upload a vid of the scene but I guess we can't do so here.)
Your choice of episode is a good example of the writers depicting a significant issue in Hawaii and fairly accurately. It’s a long-standing issue and continues to this day with the Hawaii sovereignty movement. Its roots go all the way back to the US annexation of the islands in the late 19th century and the subsequent loss of land by natives. It’s not just a matter of cultural differences or similarities. In many natives view, it’s about questioning the motives of non-natives on the islands, and that defines native versus non-native not just in ethnic terms.

About 25 years ago Congress passed a bill to restore much of this federal land to Hawaiian natives. The senator at the time, Daniel Akaka, a Native Hawaiian steered the bill through the Senate and called the legislation “a vindication for Hawaiians who had lost hope that this long-standing issue would ever be resolved.”

Many Native Hawaiians are still waiting for all of what was promised them. While some land has been returned, largely on less populated islands, most on Oahu, remains in federal hands. It remains a central issue in the islands.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Mark de Croix »

Very informative post, Pahonu, we thank you. I had to look at your profile panel on the right side. "Pahonu must be living in Hawaii," I thought. Well the West Coast surely is close. I have an interesting question particularly as you know MPI so well. Can any such items be learned from MPI? (I don't suppose you did, but wouldn't it be interesting that MPI besides entertaining is also educational, in terms of worldly knowledge--though we know it teaches wholesome values!! :D :D )

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#4 Post by Pahonu »

Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:45 am Very informative post, Pahonu, we thank you. I had to look at your profile panel on the right side. "Pahonu must be living in Hawaii," I thought. Well the West Coast surely is close. I have an interesting question particularly as you know MPI so well. Can any such items be learned from MPI? (I don't suppose you did, but wouldn't it be interesting that MPI besides entertaining is also educational, in terms of worldly knowledge--though we know it teaches wholesome values!! :D :D )
I can’t say I have really learned a lot of what I have posted about from the series. It has, however, been an inspiration for me to explore many enjoyable topics over the years. That has included everything from Hawaiian history and politics, to the architecture of the estate, to the hard-boiled detective fiction of Dash Hammett, that TM so enjoys. There are more examples I could mention.

More importantly though, I think on a very subconscious level it has also shaped many of my life decisions from living on the coast at a marina, to participating in activities such as ocean swimming, kayaking, sailing, and diving. Southern California has much in common with Hawaii in these respects, and I feel fortunate to have such opportunities. In the many years I have been a part of this forum, I understand so many member’s love of the islands, it’s climate, and the water lifestyle Magnum is a part of, even if they may not have daily access themselves. Again, I feel so fortunate in that respect and enjoy very much conversations with the many members who value such things.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Mark de Croix »

Thank you, Pahonu, for your sharing. It's inspirational for us. You show how MPI has touched you so meaningfully. Many of us surely have similar feelings and inspirations but not be able to fully express them as you so ably have done. At least we can live it vicariously. We do that with MPI itself but through you we might even gain more by it because we are all together in the here-and-now.

After my previous post I realize I wanted to reformulate my question to: How does the show help people appreciate Hawaii? You read my mind.