Best Higgins-centric episode?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

What is the best Higgins-centric episode of the series?

"Tropical Madness" (2.7)
8%
"The Elmo Ziller Story" (2.21)
5%
"Foiled Again" (3.8)
11%
"Faith and Begorrah" (3.23)
13%
"Letter to a Duchess" (4.6)
24%
"The Case of the Red Faced Thespian" (4.12)
13%
"Holmes Is Where the Heart Is" (4.18)
13%
"Luther Gillis: File #001" (5.10)
3%
"Professor Jonathan Higgins" (5.13)
No votes
"Who is Don Luis Higgins?..." (6.19)
3%
"Autumn Warrior" (7.13)
8%
"Pleasure Principle" (8.2)
No votes

Total votes: 38

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Best Higgins-centric episode?

#1 Post by Styles Bitchley »

All right Maniacs, here's your chance to champion your favourite episode that revolves around that WWII veteran we know and love: Jonathan Quayle Higgins III.

So which one is it and why?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

My choice is The Case of the Red Faced Thespian. It probably ranks amongst my top 20 favorite episodes in general.

Styles Bitchley

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:My choice is The Case of the Red Faced Thespian. It probably ranks amongst my top 20 favorite episodes in general.
Agreed. That was my choice as well. Hillerman does such a great job in that one.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#5 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Pahonu wrote:My choice is The Case of the Red Faced Thespian. It probably ranks amongst my top 20 favorite episodes in general.
Agreed. That was my choice as well. Hillerman does such a great job in that one.
Styles, I think we agree on more than a few episodes. If I'm not mistaken, I remember you saying you like the earlier, lighter episodes better, and that's true for me too. I also recall you liked Dead Man's Channel which isn't so popular here. I find the darker, more personal episodes difficult to sit through very often. They are, no doubt excellent, but I find that I can watch many of the first few season's lighter episodes repeatedly, and have probably grown to like them best for that reason.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

"O cursed slave! - whip me, ye devils, from the possession of this heavenly sight! Blow me in deep winds! Roast me in sulphur! Wash me in steep-down gulfs of liquid fire! O Desdemona! Desdemona! DEAD?!"

Love, love, love "The Case of the Red Faced Thespian"! But I think I'd have to go with "Foiled Again" as my favorite. It's such a deeply personal episode for Higgins, filled with lots of memorable scenes and dialog exchanges. Throw in Troubshaw ("You're looking well... well-fed, that is"), Dana Wynter and a brief appearance by Don Muraco and you've got yourself a classic Magnum episode. "Tropical Madness" is right up there, too. But man, they're all good! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:Styles, I think we agree on more than a few episodes. If I'm not mistaken, I remember you saying you like the earlier, lighter episodes better, and that's true for me too. I also recall you liked Dead Man's Channel which isn't so popular here. I find the darker, more personal episodes difficult to sit through very often. They are, no doubt excellent, but I find that I can watch many of the first few season's lighter episodes repeatedly, and have probably grown to like them best for that reason.
Agreed!

And James, I also agree that they're all great. Foiled Again is probably second on my list.

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#8 Post by ConchRepublican »

I prematurely clicked!!!! :oops:

I write in Black on White (clicked Tropical Madness in error, d'oh!!) . . . would that fall into a "Higgins-centric" episode category?
Last edited by ConchRepublican on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:I prematurely clicked!!!! :oops:

I write in Black on White (clicked Tropical Madness in error, d'oh!!) . . . would that fall into a "Higgins-centric" episode category?
I guess it could. It certainly focusses on him, but maybe not as much as the others. Still, it's a great one!

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

My fav is "letter to a dutchess" mostly for personal reasons.

It's the first episode that I remember that I watched on TV, I like the plot and the developement of the Magnum-Higgins relationship. And I agree, that it's probably the least Higgins-centric Higgins episode ;)

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I voted "Letter to a Duchess", but if "Black on White" had been on the list I might have gone with that. Both are excellent episodes from the best seasons (3 & 4) of the show.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

Another vote for Black on White if it was on the list...........

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Dang, I really should have included "Black on White" as a Higgins-Centric episode in the episode guide. My bad. I think I'll do that right now...
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:Dang, I really should have included "Black on White" as a Higgins-Centric episode in the episode guide. My bad. I think I'll do that right now...
The guide was what I used to compile the list. Black on White slipped my mind as well.

- J.Q.H.

mandolabar
Captain

#15 Post by mandolabar »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaugh! I am stuck! My family's favorite, far and away, is Holmes is Where the Heart Is---but I love Foiled Again. Oh, no! *insert prolonged waffling here*

This is a WONDERFUL poll, by the way, THANK YOU. As a CBHF*, I totally appreciate the effort you put into this.

~Amanda

*Clearly Biased Higgins Fan
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)