Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

coming back to Rolex:

I have been searching up and down for a mid 80s 1675 GMT Master, but realized, that I am searching to the impossible.

The 1675 has been disconinued around 1980 and has been replaced by the 16750 (different movement with quickset date).

The reason, why I have been avoiding the 16750 was, that i thought, that this one has a Sapphire crystal only and the glossy dial with the whitegold markers.

I realize now, that that mod earlier had the matte dial and the plexi crystal.

So, if you want a Magnum accurate model, look for a 16750 around 8 million serial.

More info:
http://gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-master_ref_16750.html

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

P.S. passed on this one:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.p ... ight=16750

Hope to get a better one in the next days ;)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#73 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:coming back to Rolex:

I have been searching up and down for a mid 80s 1675 GMT Master, but realized, that I am searching to the impossible.

The 1675 has been disconinued around 1980 and has been replaced by the 16750 (different movement with quickset date).

The reason, why I have been avoiding the 16750 was, that i thought, that this one has a Sapphire crystal only and the glossy dial with the whitegold markers.

I realize now, that that mod earlier had the matte dial and the plexi crystal.

So, if you want a Magnum accurate model, look for a 16750 around 8 million serial.

More info:
http://gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-master_ref_16750.html
I'm a bit confused. You're saying that the Magnum GMT is actually a 16750 (i.e., more similar to the current model with the flush sapphire crystal) but it has the protruding plexi crystal?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

no, mate.

the 16750 first came with the plexi crystal and the matte dial and has been later transitioned to the sapphire crystal model with the white gold surroundings around the hour markers and the glossy dial.

Both wear the ref. 16750 and that's the GMT Master, that has been available from 1981-1988, the plexi model has been produced until 1986

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#75 Post by J.J. Walters »

Is this a 1675 or a 16750?

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#76 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Difficult to tell from a single pic but from the bracelet (if it has not been replaced) it is a 16750

Styles Bitchley

#77 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Difficult to tell from a single pic but from the bracelet (if it has not been replaced) it is a 16750
The 1675 has the more narrow bracelet, right? I prefer the 16750 bracelet (the one in the photo). It's more masculine. I've wanted to get a ref. 93150 bracelet for my Submariner for a long time now...hard to pull the trigger on a $1000 watch band though!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

no, the difference is in the end link:

The 1675 has the older bracelet which has a kind of end cap:
*note that the rivets are not an indicator. The old bracelet was also available without visible rivets on the bracelet sides

The 16750 have the newer bracelet with end links

But I am not sure, if transitional models of the 1675 with the new kind of bracelet also existed.

If you have a watch in hands, it's easy to differentiate the 1675 from the 16750:

1. By the serial number on the case ;)
2. By checking the hand stack: If the 24hr hand is the closest hands to the dial, it's a 1675. If the lowest hand is the hour hand you have a 16750.

Styles Bitchley

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#79 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Okay, so we're pretty much settled on the fact that the GMT worn by Thomas Magnum is an early 16750 with a plexi crystal and oyster bracelet.

Wondering if anyone knows more about the Rolex Selleck is wearing in these promo photos of the time. It looks like a gold Submariner with blue dial and a jubilee bracelet. I'm sure he doesn't wear it on screen at any point.

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#80 Post by ConchRepublican »

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley

#81 Post by Styles Bitchley »

That's the one, Conch! The true Magnum watch (although presumably from a few years earlier). A very nice example, eh?

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican

#82 Post by ConchRepublican »

That's a crazy amount of money for a watch .... the only thing that makes it special to me is the connection to Magnum, otherwise it just doesn't have "it" for me.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Styles Bitchley

#83 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:That's a crazy amount of money for a watch .... the only thing that makes it special to me is the connection to Magnum, otherwise it just doesn't have "it" for me.
Actually, it screams "it" for me. Truly love it. Not that I can afford it, however!

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican

#84 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:That's a crazy amount of money for a watch .... the only thing that makes it special to me is the connection to Magnum, otherwise it just doesn't have "it" for me.
Actually, it screams "it" for me. Truly love it. Not that I can afford it, however!
I'll stick with my Tag Aquaracer . . . it's enough watch for me.

https://images.bloomingdales.com/is/ima ... 0&fmt=jpeg
CoziTV Superfan spot

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

If I may add a little expertise here.

1. The Hodinkee watch has The wrong dial glossy and with the incorrect whitegold parts around the lume plots
2. The watch in question has heavily polished lugs, there is almost no meat on the bones...
3. US$ 6800 is not very much money for a 16750. Good examples are selling for 8-9000 $

This is a good example (-fortunately mine ;))
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.