Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#1 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Just starting a new thread on this topic, since the one on copies was getting a bit toxic and I think that at least purchasing a Rolex or Chronosport is something many MM members may consider.
brunoffrance wrote:I'm not a rich man and I search the best way to find one at the "best price"...

Seen some at NY, this winter but not really good shape and expensive ($4000).

I've found second hand websites and, for the moment, the best one is there in UK.

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/default.aspx

There, the best price for a guaranted pepsi is £3100 ...

If you have better price or advices, tell me....
With the exchange rate on the pound these days, I think you're probably on to something Bruno. That price is pretty low though, so you might want to double check their return policy.

I sometimes check out this site in the UK: http://www.watches.co.uk/

Hard to find many deals here in Switzerland, despite the fact that they make the things just across town! Especially with the exchange rate of the franc these days. If people are interested, I'm happy to stop by a jeweller to find out the best price on a new GMT. Might be interesting to see what the best price is among the countries we have represented here.

Just emphasising that the above sites are selling authentic watches. Not replicas.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Great topic! ;)

I wanted to reply in the other thread but it may be better here:

For pre-loved watches, I am searching here:
http://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9&drgn=1

There are many different sellers, many good ones but as always, be careful with online purchases.
I have good experiences with David SW

Generally, the GMT Master, that we know has been discontinued some years ago and the chances are low to find one in the stores today.
It has been replaced by the GMT Master with the bulky box-design case and the ceramic bezel with the bolt numbers.

The bezel inserts can be easily changed to Pepsi, so, if someone finds a GMT or GMTII with a different color, the investment for a Pepsi insert is below US$ 100,--

A general advise: Rolexes, which are shipped to the US from any other country may be confiscated at the border. I can't tell legal details, but there is obviously a law, which protects the US market.

Styles Bitchley

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:The bezel inserts can be easily changed to Pepsi, so, if someone finds a GMT or GMTII with a different color, the investment for a Pepsi insert is below US$ 100,--
Do you know if the Pepsi bezel insert can be used on a submariner? I've often thought of changing my standard black to the Pepsi, but I'm not sure if they're interchangeable.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

as far as I know: no.

The masures of the bezel rings are slightly different, however I know people, who managed to adapt their bezel inserts that it matches. But you'll always risk to loose the insert that way ;)

Styles Bitchley

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

There are several ebay postings that offer bezel inserts of various colours - but they seem to be quite cheap quality.

Anybody have experiences positive or negative purchasing a watch over ebay? Seems to be the cheapest way to buy a used watch.

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

the cheap inserts are fakes and you virtually can get it in any color.

Buying from ebay is probably the riskiest way to buy. Until you don't pick up the watch in person, you may not even get the watch from the picture.

I'd only buy one on ebay, when I have the chance to pick them up in person. If you are not 100% sure how the real ones look like, tro to walk together with the watch and the seller into an authorized dealer and get it opened.

Besides of the obvious knockoffs, you may run the risk of getting a "marriage" with a different cheap movement - the possibilities to cheat are plenty.

I am not saying that every sales ad are fraud on ebay, but you have to know your stuff and be very careful!

I'd rather buy from a reputable dealer from TRF

Just as an example, I have purchased a Submariner body on ebay. The body on the pic was a real one. I have received a fake one.

I have found out, that the seller was a 14-year old guy from London. After I have called his mother and told her, what her son was doing, I have received a full refund ;)

Styles Bitchley

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
Just as an example, I have purchased a Submariner body on ebay. The body on the pic was a real one. I have received a fake one.

I have found out, that the seller was a 14-year old guy from London. After I have called his mother and told her, what her son was doing, I have received a full refund ;)
Wow :shock: What a cheeky little bugger!

Great story. You got off lucky on that one.

- J.Q.H.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Danno »

Don't put a Pepsi bezel on your Submariner, Styles! :shock:
They're stylish in black... and much less bling.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Styles Bitchley

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Dan wrote:Don't put a Pepsi bezel on your Submariner, Styles! :shock:
They're stylish in black... and much less bling.
Yeah, the black is nice because you can dress it up. The Pepsi always looks sporty. I've had my watch for about 16 years and haven't done it yet, but sometimes I feel like I need to switch things up...and I can't afford to buy another one!

- J.Q.H.

brunoffrance
Captain

Rolex by mail...

#10 Post by brunoffrance »

Don't want to take risk in buying overseas with this range of price.... Even if you pay with Paypal , they don't cover you if you buy "outside" Ebay.... On ebay, if the seller goes away and close his account , you can't be refunded

When I'll find one, I'll take my car to the buyer to check on place... open the case and seing the brand inscription inside...and pay there... not before !

I think the best way is to obtain , in the same time , the original papers and certificate... Without that, i'll be suspicious !
Very american 4 a french...

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Danno »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Yeah, the black is nice because you can dress it up. The Pepsi always looks sporty. I've had my watch for about 16 years and haven't done it yet, but sometimes I feel like I need to switch things up...and I can't afford to buy another one!
Yep- I have an Omega Speedmaster- it has the same colours the Sub.
I'd love a GMT with the pepsi bezel... one day. Definitely vintage GMT though.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Rolex by mail...

#12 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

brunoffrance wrote: When I'll find one, I'll take my car to the buyer to check on place... open the case and seing the brand inscription inside...and pay there... not before !

I think the best way is to obtain , in the same time , the original papers and certificate... Without that, i'll be suspicious !
Picking up in person is always a good advise. When I see a suspicious item, my first question is, if I can pick up in person.

Regarding opening the case and look for trademarks: It may work, but there are fakes, who even do carry fake brandings and even red-coloured pinions!

For example this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQFkVIFWv84

brunoffrance
Captain

#13 Post by brunoffrance »

OUPS !!!!!

what to check when you are a newby.... only buy with certificate and old owner papers.... may be !

what a bad world....

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

If you are a newbie, take someone with you who has a lot of experience with Rolex. A friend, who owns one or has owned one is not an expert! I mean a real expert!

Or, better go with the watch to a Rolex dealer and ask the watchmaker to open the case and give you his opinion.

I've had several 1000 Rolexes in my hands over the years, but sometimes need expert's opinions as well.

Unfortunately, that "1" detail does not exist, which separates fakes from real ones. A good first idea would be, how the crown turns when you are setting the time:

1. Real Rolex: The hands turn into the direction of the crown, e.g. clockwise crown --> clockwise turn of the hands

2. Fake Rolex: The hands turn into the opposite direction of the crown, eg clockwise crown --> anticlockwise turn of hands

But you should not take this one as the only indicator to verify the authenticity of a watch.

Another hint are papers: I only buy with a complete set of papers for a singe reason: You can't reach possession for stolen goods!

I had burglars in my house 8 years ago and they took some of my watches. Papers stayed here.

2 Years later, I have discovered one of my watches on ebay. My advocate got the watch back within 1 week.

The seller bought it from a second hand dealer before and still tries to get the money back from his seller. He had to pay for my advocate, court fees and of course did not get a single penny from me for the watch.

So, if you are buying from somebody you don't know, do everything to make sure, that it's in his legal possession or you may end up having lost your money and the watch.

brunoffrance
Captain

#15 Post by brunoffrance »

GREAT ADVICES, thank you !

Finding an expert 'll be diificult as my knowledges or friends don't buy Rolex... So getting the original papers 'll be a great guaranty of a real and genuine watch... I've seen 2 on the "watchfinder" siteweb...

Your video is incredible !

Thank you one more time.