Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#121 Post by ConchRepublican »

Nikita70 wrote:You’re the man. You know it all. I’m here to enjoy Magnum and things like that. Not argue with people who know more than anybody else.
Styles Bitchley wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:I haven‘t seen many 16760 with a market value of $10.800 to begin with your flawed expertise ;)

Having experience selling all kinds of things does not make you an expert in vintage Rolex watches.

I am just having this kind of discussion to prevent others from following your advise and ending up with a cheap watch that is even too expensive on that level because of the flaws that it may have.

I can only recommend consulting experts with experience in that field BEFORE buying something.
Nobody wants to lose hundreds of Dollars on a cheap deal which is a scrap watch in the end.

And let‘s remember: every burglar is looking for watches and jewellery. Guess where all these stolen watches end up for sale?
Some good points here and sage advice, but not a tone that's very welcoming for a new forum member. There aren't many of us left here in the forum compared to the old days, so let's keep the spirit of camaraderie high! It can all probably be summed up by saying, if you don't know what you're doing ask an expert you trust or buy only from a reputable dealer. You may come across an amazing deal on a watch, as Nikita says, but you could easily be getting duped. That's a gamble I think everyone knows could be there. I know that I bought my Rolex on a whim for a relatively crazy cheap price...and I was half expecting to find out it was a fake. But it wasn't! Score for me!
These boards are some of the most considerate on the interwebs, let's remember we're all here for the same reason and try to keep it that way. Group hug.

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by Danno »

My 40th is coming up and my wife has offered to buy me a Rolex as she knows I've been talking about them for years.
I'm leaning towards a Submariner without the date function, I like how clean and classic it is but the GMT Master is talking to me and does have the Magnum factor.

Any advice/thoughts, watch experts?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#123 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Danno wrote:My 40th is coming up and my wife has offered to buy me a Rolex as she knows I've been talking about them for years.
I'm leaning towards a Submariner without the date function, I like how clean and classic it is but the GMT Master is talking to me and does have the Magnum factor.

Are you thinking of a vintage one, or something new? I think you should go for something that speaks to you. I love the GMT, but the Submariner is more my watch. The one without the date is slick, but I actually find it pretty useful day to day to have the date available at quick glance. You might consider the Sea Dweller also...

Here’s a good thread on the pros and cons of a date vs non date Sub I was recently reading (note these are vintage) https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=571344

That forum is incredible, actually. I’d spend some time reading what the real experts have to say about the references you’re thinking about. THe classifies section is fantastic too.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#124 Post by ConchRepublican »

Danno wrote:My 40th is coming up and my wife has offered to buy me a Rolex as she knows I've been talking about them for years.

Good for you Danno!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by KENJI »

Thought this might interest of few of you.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olawVhNhJqw

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by Danno »

Thanks guys.

Styles, I think I'd go for a new Sub. I don't love the current GMT II- the numbers on the bezel are too dominant to me.
If I were to get a GMT it'd be vintage... but it's such a difficult market. We just don't have the time to go searching for the perfect Magnum GMT.
The Sub is as classic and can be dressed up or down.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Styles Bitchley

#127 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Danno wrote:Thanks guys.

Styles, I think I'd go for a new Sub. I don't love the current GMT II- the numbers on the bezel are too dominant to me.
If I were to get a GMT it'd be vintage... but it's such a difficult market. We just don't have the time to go searching for the perfect Magnum GMT.
The Sub is as classic and can be dressed up or down.
Exactly. It’s a timeless design. Problem is, they’re hard to find! There’s usually a waiting list at authorized dealers. Beauty of having a new one is you never have to worry about it being waterproof!

My favourite of the new Rolexs is the 50th anniversary Sea Dweller: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-r ... nce-126600
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by eagle »

Styles Bitchley wrote:My favourite of the new Rolexs is the 50th anniversary Sea Dweller: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-r ... nce-126600
Wow, that is a super nice watch! Great review, and I learned about the helium release valve today. :)

I always ask my kids 3 questions at dinner, one being what they learned, and I answer the questions too; today I will mention that release valve.

The ones I like are the GMT-Master II, Sea-Dweller, Submariner, and Explorer. Probably in that order, though I really don't know the difference between the Sea-Dweller and Submariner.

I think I'm becoming interested in learning about the history of Rolex, Ferrari, Porsche, and similarly important companies. Can any of you recommend a good books on the histories of these companies and any others I might want to read about?

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#129 Post by eagle »

Well, I'm looking at buying a Steinhart this week. Combining my Christmas money, and some gift cards I received, and $100 in the January budget, I have enough. Ocean One GMT, pepsi colored. Reviews on the Steinhart are very positive, and I like the look of it. Thanks to the forum member that pointed me to it! :magnum:

Styles Bitchley

#130 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote:Well, I'm looking at buying a Steinhart this week. Combining my Christmas money, and some gift cards I received, and $100 in the January budget, I have enough. Ocean One GMT, pepsi colored. Reviews on the Steinhart are very positive, and I like the look of it. Thanks to the forum member that pointed me to it! :magnum:
A very fitting Magnum tribute! Look forward to seeing a photo of it on the wrist and hearing your review, Eagle.

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#131 Post by eagle »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
eagle wrote:Well, I'm looking at buying a Steinhart this week. Combining my Christmas money, and some gift cards I received, and $100 in the January budget, I have enough. Ocean One GMT, pepsi colored. Reviews on the Steinhart are very positive, and I like the look of it. Thanks to the forum member that pointed me to it! :magnum:
A very fitting Magnum tribute! Look forward to seeing a photo of it on the wrist and hearing your review, Eagle.
Placed the order last night. Steinhart is off until 1/8; I hope to have it by 1/12. We'll see.

Pics and review after that.

I'm excited - this will be my first automatic watch. All of my previous watches have been quartz watches, most recently Swatch Irony Chronos; I have 3 of those and one plastic Swatch chronograph.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by eagle »

I received my Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 today, and posted some quick thoughts over here.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Rolex finally released a new "Pepsi" GMT with ceramic bezel.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-gmt- ... ilee-2018/

Tudor also released one - and much cheaper at less than half the price. (...but with horribly ugly hands)

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tudor-black-bay-gmt-watch/

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by eagle »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Rolex finally released a new "Pepsi" GMT with ceramic bezel.

Tudor also released one - and much cheaper at less than half the price. (...but with horribly ugly hands)
Wow, $9300 - not bad for a Rolex GMT!

I too have never been a huge fan of the Tudor hands, but for $4k.....

And wow, 70 hours reserve with a 4Hz movement. That is quite an accomplishment!

I'm still loving my Steinhart Pepsi GMT. Not as cool as a Rolex, but at 5% of the cost I like it well enough. Thanks to Mad Kudu Buck for mentioning it!

Also, this Rolex must be why Steinhart just released a Pepsi GMT on a jubilee bracelet.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#135 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

eagle wrote:I'm still loving my Steinhart Pepsi GMT. Not as cool as a Rolex, but at 5% of the cost I like it well enough. Thanks to Mad Kudu Buck for mentioning it!
I'm glad to be of help. :)

I'm still happy with my $135 Orient Ray (original version):

It's "not as cool as a Rolex"™ - not even "as cool as a Steinhart" and not "Pepsi" or GMT, but it serves its purpose as a swim watch and still has a bit of the Magnum/Bond feel to it. I swim every day in the ocean in summer and it gets scratched up on rocks and sand quite a bit. I'd be much more nervous doing that with a $10,000 watch. (I'm not a cheapo - I do have an expensive Grand Seiko (or "Grando Seiko" as the Japanese say), but I don't swim with it.)

It's a pity they changed the colour on the new Ray II. The original is a nicer shade, slightly purplish-blue.