Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#101 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yep. Using Chrome. But Conch's image above, for example, doesn't show.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

If Rolex is too expensive, Steinhart has a "Pepsi" GMT for under $500.

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/dive ... d-731.html

It's 42mm, which is why I wasn't interested, but now it appears they're going to be making it in 39mm.

Styles Bitchley

#103 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:If Rolex is too expensive, Steinhart has a "Pepsi" GMT for under $500.

It's 42mm, which is why I wasn't interested, but now it appears they're going to be making it in 39mm.
Pretty nice option for those who don't want to break the bank on a watch. Steinhart manages to create great Rolex homage watches with Swiss automatic movements for a decent price. I'd certainly go for one before getting a crapy GMT copy. At least this is an excellent quality watch.

I really like their Mil Sub homage watch too: http://wornandwound.com/review/review-s ... -military/
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#104 Post by ConchRepublican »

That's a nice looking watch!

I can't see dropping that much on a Rolex, there are just so many better things I can see doing with that kind of cash . . . like actually visiting Hawaii and making memories.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley

#105 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:That's a nice looking watch!

I can't see dropping that much on a Rolex, there are just so many better things I can see doing with that kind of cash . . . like actually visiting Hawaii and making memories.
I totally hear what you're saying The one thing that makes buying a vintage Rolex, however, is that unlike most watches you'll ever buy, its value will actually increase as you own it. That why a lot of guys have a bunch of them, rather than having their money locked up in investments (good tax incentive too!). Of course, you run the risk of damaging it or getting it stolen...but the market for vintage Rolex watches (like Magnum's) is huge, with high demand. If you had bought the exact early 80s version of Mag's GMT Master back around 2010, you cold probably sell it today for double what you paid.

A nice thing is that some of these old military guys who had these issued or picked them up back in the day now have a nest egg they didn't realize they had. Love this GMT Master clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olawVhNhJqw

- J.Q.H.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#106 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Styles Bitchley wrote:A nice thing is that some of these old military guys who had these issued or picked them up back in the day now have a nest egg they didn't realize they had. Love this GMT Master clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olawVhNhJqw
I saw that video yesterday. I wish everything I owned appreciated in value that much.

I would never want to buy a Rolex online though - too many fakes. Even if it's a real Rolex, it could have been taken apart and fixed with fake or incorrect replacement parts. Rolex fakes are getting much harder to spot too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZTqC2Yxxs

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#107 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:That's a nice looking watch!

I totally hear what you're saying The one thing that makes buying a vintage Rolex, however, is that unlike most watches you'll ever buy, its value will actually increase as you own it. That why a lot of guys have a bunch of them, rather than having their money locked up in investments (good tax incentive too!). Of course, you run the risk of damaging it or getting it stolen...but the market for vintage Rolex watches (like Magnum's) is huge, with high demand. If you had bought the exact early 80s version of Mag's GMT Master back around 2010, you cold probably sell it today for double what you paid.

A nice thing is that some of these old military guys who had these issued or picked them up back in the day now have a nest egg they didn't realize they had. Love this GMT Master clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olawVhNhJqw
That's a great video! Good for that man.

That investment aspect is interesting, I didn't think there'd be that much of an increase in 7 years . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley

#108 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote: That's a great video! Good for that man.

That investment aspect is interesting, I didn't think there'd be that much of an increase in 7 years . . .
Not with all of them, but it does seem that the Rolex sport watches in particular (GMT, Submariner, Seadweller) and the Daytona chronograph have surged...being in NYC, you may have seen the kerfuffle last week when Paul Newman's 1968 Daytona sold at auction for the most a watch has ever sold for: https://www.forbes.com/sites/hylabauer/ ... 38d1c85313

It may even push these watch prices higher.

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#109 Post by KENJI »

Speaking of a good investment........Check out Paul Newman's Rolex and what it went for at auction! :shock:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/arts ... ytona.html

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#110 Post by eagle »

ConchRepublican wrote:That's a great video! Good for that man.
Yeah, no kidding - wow!
Styles Bitchley wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote: That investment aspect is interesting, I didn't think there'd be that much of an increase in 7 years . . .
Not with all of them, but it does seem that the Rolex sport watches in particular (GMT, Submariner, Seadweller) and the Daytona chronograph have surged...
Yeah, I have wanted a Daytona for 20+ years, and while my income has gone up, the increases in Daytona prices have far outpaced my increases in income.

I'm sure I like the same ones everybody else does: Daytona, Sea-Dweller, Submariner, Yacht-Master, GMT-Master, Explorer.

For now I buy Swatch chronographs, and they are nice, but they lack panache. I'm going to take a closer look at that Steinhart watch.

I currently have a plastic Swatch chrono, bought in Interlaken, CH, and 3 Irony chronos, one of which was bought somewhere in Switzerland -- not exactly sure where my parents bought it, as they were on holiday. I regularly wear all but the plastic one.

---

Edit: I have looked at some reviews, and I dig those Steinharts. I'll have to find a place to see one of then, but it sounds like I'll have to go to Germany or Switzerland for that. Unless I decide to buy without touching one first, that is.

Thanks for the pointer to an affordable alternative!

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#111 Post by Nikita70 »

I bought my Rolex 16760 because of Magnum. It isn’t the exact model he had but very close. The great thing about the Rolex GMT is the ability to change the bezel insert. Mine came with the Coke (red/black) but I’m going to get the Pepsi (red/blue). I bought it for 20% under market value.
I did have the Steinhart Pepsi as pictured in a previous post. It’s a good quality watch and a great alternative for those who don’t want to spend the money for a Rolex.

Styles Bitchley

#112 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nikita70 wrote:I bought my Rolex 16760 because of Magnum. It isn’t the exact model he had but very close. The great thing about the Rolex GMT is the ability to change the bezel insert. Mine came with the Coke (red/black) but I’m going to get the Pepsi (red/blue). I bought it for 20% under market value.
I did have the Steinhart Pepsi as pictured in a previous post. It’s a good quality watch and a great alternative for those who don’t want to spend the money for a Rolex.
Thanks for pointing out that you can swap for a Pepsi bezel (although I bet they're not cheap). Also good to hear from someone who has had a Steinhart and a Rolex and who still find the Steinhart to be a good watch. Nice to see you were finally able to register to the forum!

Any tips on where to pick up a vintage Rolex GMT for 20% under market value???

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#113 Post by Styles Bitchley »

So, this watch just came up for sale on ebay and I thought I'd share because of the early 80s Navy Seal connection.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I believe the Chronosport UDT came along a bit later than the Sea Quartz 30 that Magnum wore. This one has a pretty unique history. Here's an excerpt from the ad:

"A rare King Hussein of Jordan gift Chronosport UDT Type IIB in original box. King Hussein made gifts of these watches to Navy Seals and other dignitaries. This watch belonged to a Navy Seal and U.S. spy from Fairfax, Va. His identity is not known to me. This watch is from his estate, which was cleared of all tactical weapons and spy gear (though not cameras and watches) prior to liquidating the remaining property. His house was rented and the owners names are redacted from public records. I can provide the address of his home to the buyer if you'd like to try your detective skills."

- J.Q.H.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#114 Post by Nikita70 »

Thanks for pointing out that you can swap for a Pepsi bezel (although I bet they're not cheap). Also good to hear from someone who has had a Steinhart and a Rolex and who still find the Steinhart to be a good watch. Nice to see you were finally able to register to the forum!

Any tips on where to pick up a vintage Rolex GMT for 20% under market value???[/quote]

My best advice on picking up a Rolex for a good price is to haunt the watch sites for sale forums. That is where I bought mine. Just a few days ago a model very similar If not the exact same one as Magnum had came up for sale for $5400. It sold within an hour. Considering the watch is worth twice that minimum tells you how rare a deal like that is. It really is just a matter of checking all the time and to be ready when a deal pops up because there won’t be a lot of time to make up your mind.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#115 Post by Nikita70 »

Love the Chronosport too!