Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#131 Post by eagle »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
eagle wrote:Well, I'm looking at buying a Steinhart this week. Combining my Christmas money, and some gift cards I received, and $100 in the January budget, I have enough. Ocean One GMT, pepsi colored. Reviews on the Steinhart are very positive, and I like the look of it. Thanks to the forum member that pointed me to it! :magnum:
A very fitting Magnum tribute! Look forward to seeing a photo of it on the wrist and hearing your review, Eagle.
Placed the order last night. Steinhart is off until 1/8; I hope to have it by 1/12. We'll see.

Pics and review after that.

I'm excited - this will be my first automatic watch. All of my previous watches have been quartz watches, most recently Swatch Irony Chronos; I have 3 of those and one plastic Swatch chronograph.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by eagle »

I received my Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 today, and posted some quick thoughts over here.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Rolex finally released a new "Pepsi" GMT with ceramic bezel.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-gmt- ... ilee-2018/

Tudor also released one - and much cheaper at less than half the price. (...but with horribly ugly hands)

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tudor-black-bay-gmt-watch/

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by eagle »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Rolex finally released a new "Pepsi" GMT with ceramic bezel.

Tudor also released one - and much cheaper at less than half the price. (...but with horribly ugly hands)
Wow, $9300 - not bad for a Rolex GMT!

I too have never been a huge fan of the Tudor hands, but for $4k.....

And wow, 70 hours reserve with a 4Hz movement. That is quite an accomplishment!

I'm still loving my Steinhart Pepsi GMT. Not as cool as a Rolex, but at 5% of the cost I like it well enough. Thanks to Mad Kudu Buck for mentioning it!

Also, this Rolex must be why Steinhart just released a Pepsi GMT on a jubilee bracelet.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#135 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

eagle wrote:I'm still loving my Steinhart Pepsi GMT. Not as cool as a Rolex, but at 5% of the cost I like it well enough. Thanks to Mad Kudu Buck for mentioning it!
I'm glad to be of help. :)

I'm still happy with my $135 Orient Ray (original version):

It's "not as cool as a Rolex"™ - not even "as cool as a Steinhart" and not "Pepsi" or GMT, but it serves its purpose as a swim watch and still has a bit of the Magnum/Bond feel to it. I swim every day in the ocean in summer and it gets scratched up on rocks and sand quite a bit. I'd be much more nervous doing that with a $10,000 watch. (I'm not a cheapo - I do have an expensive Grand Seiko (or "Grando Seiko" as the Japanese say), but I don't swim with it.)

It's a pity they changed the colour on the new Ray II. The original is a nicer shade, slightly purplish-blue.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#136 Post by MagnumILWU »

I bought my fake Rolex in the early 90's. The store was selling several styles, but I bought it because it looked like Magnum's! ROLEX Oyster perpetual date. It looks like the GMT Master II; Silver, with black face. Red and blue bezel. Numbers 2-22. But the name on it is, Submariner. 4000 ft 500 m. Superlative Chronometer.Officially Certified. I think I paid $50 for it. It may not be correct, but it's my Magnum watch!
"pickled egg please"

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#137 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Just wanted to give a counter-opinion to the usual "I don't have the money for a real Rolex" talk here.

Bought it some years ago for US$ 4.400,-- (In the 90s, those could be had for less than $ 1.000)
If I'd be selling it now, it'd be north of 10.000.

Smart purchase imo

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#138 Post by Danno »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
(In the 90s, those could be had for less than $ 1.000)
Oh, for a time machine.

Nice watch, Bond. I wish they still did the GMT with that simplicity. The new GMTII is too fussy looking for my taste.
Last edited by Danno on Wed May 02, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#139 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Walks wrote:My baby:

1967 vintage GMT. Wear it every single day. It's due for a service, but I'm afraid to send it off.
My all-time favorite possession. I'd trade it for a 308 GTSi, but that's about it.

After seeing this video from servicing a 308, you may think again about a potential trade ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27-I8SKmZyM

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#140 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I just watched this interesting video about the Seiko arches the Special Ops guys wore in Vietnam. Thought some of you may be interested.

https://youtu.be/XmrOuuBywvg
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#141 Post by perfectlykevin »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I just watched this interesting video about the Seiko arches the Special Ops guys wore in Vietnam. Thought some of you may be interested.

From what I understand from other Seiko collectors, the 6105 diver was very popular with Troops. Currently prices on original ones are pretty krazy! :)

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#142 Post by Nikita70 »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I just watched this interesting video about the Seiko arches the Special Ops guys wore in Vietnam. Thought some of you may be interested.

Nice information about the old Seikos. Thanks for the link.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#143 Post by Styles Bitchley »

perfectlykevin wrote:

From what I understand from other Seiko collectors, the 6105 diver was very popular with Troops. Currently prices on original ones are pretty krazy! :)
You can see why. They’re so cool and unique and oversized watches are so popular these days. “Krazy” is all relative though, when you compare it to a vintage GMT!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#144 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I found this recently - a Chinese site selling fake vintage Rolex ($458):

I have no idea how good they are or if the site is trustworthy or not. One thing I noticed - the watch thickness seems to be way off at 14.6mm.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#145 Post by K Hale »

Quick question. I have not read all 10 pages of this thread, but why is the watch called a "Pepsi"? I've seen that in other threads too.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!