Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#111 Post by Nikita70 »

I bought my Rolex 16760 because of Magnum. It isn’t the exact model he had but very close. The great thing about the Rolex GMT is the ability to change the bezel insert. Mine came with the Coke (red/black) but I’m going to get the Pepsi (red/blue). I bought it for 20% under market value.
I did have the Steinhart Pepsi as pictured in a previous post. It’s a good quality watch and a great alternative for those who don’t want to spend the money for a Rolex.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#112 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nikita70 wrote:I bought my Rolex 16760 because of Magnum. It isn’t the exact model he had but very close. The great thing about the Rolex GMT is the ability to change the bezel insert. Mine came with the Coke (red/black) but I’m going to get the Pepsi (red/blue). I bought it for 20% under market value.
I did have the Steinhart Pepsi as pictured in a previous post. It’s a good quality watch and a great alternative for those who don’t want to spend the money for a Rolex.
Thanks for pointing out that you can swap for a Pepsi bezel (although I bet they're not cheap). Also good to hear from someone who has had a Steinhart and a Rolex and who still find the Steinhart to be a good watch. Nice to see you were finally able to register to the forum!

Any tips on where to pick up a vintage Rolex GMT for 20% under market value???
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#113 Post by Styles Bitchley »

So, this watch just came up for sale on ebay and I thought I'd share because of the early 80s Navy Seal connection.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I believe the Chronosport UDT came along a bit later than the Sea Quartz 30 that Magnum wore. This one has a pretty unique history. Here's an excerpt from the ad:

"A rare King Hussein of Jordan gift Chronosport UDT Type IIB in original box. King Hussein made gifts of these watches to Navy Seals and other dignitaries. This watch belonged to a Navy Seal and U.S. spy from Fairfax, Va. His identity is not known to me. This watch is from his estate, which was cleared of all tactical weapons and spy gear (though not cameras and watches) prior to liquidating the remaining property. His house was rented and the owners names are redacted from public records. I can provide the address of his home to the buyer if you'd like to try your detective skills."

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#114 Post by Nikita70 »

Thanks for pointing out that you can swap for a Pepsi bezel (although I bet they're not cheap). Also good to hear from someone who has had a Steinhart and a Rolex and who still find the Steinhart to be a good watch. Nice to see you were finally able to register to the forum!

Any tips on where to pick up a vintage Rolex GMT for 20% under market value???[/quote]

My best advice on picking up a Rolex for a good price is to haunt the watch sites for sale forums. That is where I bought mine. Just a few days ago a model very similar If not the exact same one as Magnum had came up for sale for $5400. It sold within an hour. Considering the watch is worth twice that minimum tells you how rare a deal like that is. It really is just a matter of checking all the time and to be ready when a deal pops up because there won’t be a lot of time to make up your mind.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#115 Post by Nikita70 »

Love the Chronosport too!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Nikita70 wrote:

My best advice on picking up a Rolex for a good price is to haunt the watch sites for sale forums. That is where I bought mine. Just a few days ago a model very similar If not the exact same one as Magnum had came up for sale for $5400. It sold within an hour. Considering the watch is worth twice that minimum tells you how rare a deal like that is. It really is just a matter of checking all the time and to be ready when a deal pops up because there won’t be a lot of time to make up your mind.

Apologies in advance, but there is so much wrong in your post.

Firstly a Pepsi Bezel Insert can be had for less than 100 Euros

Then buying a preowned Rolex can be a minefield as there are so many variables.
So, you bought your watch 20% below „market value“
I am just curious how you determine „market value“

The price and value of a 30 year old Rolex depends on so many variables:

- does the offer include the certificate? (certificate yes or not can mean several hundred $ in price difference!)
- is the dial original or a replacement? (genuine dials can set you back hundreds of $)
- are the hands original or replaced?
- is the bracelet the original one and how is the condition? (good and period-correct bracelets cost several hundred $)
- when was the last service ( a service alone can set you back 1000$)?
- how is the condition of the movement (waterdamage??) (a damaged movement can set you back several THOUSAND $)
- is there any pitting around the main gasket (new case mids costs several THOUSAND $)
- Very important!!! How thick are the lugs and crown guards ("")
- are there deep scratches, gauges etc. in the main case?("")
- are all parts genuine or aftermarket

- and most importantly: Could the watch be stolen and do you trust the seller that he’ll refund you, if the watch turns out to be stolen?

These factors all influence heavily the value, so I am very sceptic when someone claims hat he‘s gotten a certain watch „below value“.
I am not saying that you where lucky - that I can only tell when seeing good pics of your watch - but after years of searching for vintage Rolex watches, I have never closed on a "cheap deal" as the negatives where so glaring that the bargain price was too high.

But a cheap price alone should not be the reason for buying a particular Rolex.

I usually end up paying the higher end of the range after I have made sure that I am getting an example that ticks most of the boxes from above and is really good!

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#117 Post by Nikita70 »

I’m not here to argue. You need to re-read the above post, it was not I talking about bezel insert prices.
I bought my 16760 from a verified trusted seller on a watch forum for 20% under the current going rate. Obviously one needs to do their own research on whatever models they are interested in and research the seller. If you feel better paying top dollar that’s fine, I do not like paying more than I have to.
I determine market value very easily. Watches in similar conditions from different sources like watch forums, eBay, And list of other places. I’m talking SOLD value, not what some people are asking. There’s a difference. I also have sold literally tens of thousands of items online including watches so I do have a little experience.
I read your checklist on the conditions. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being in perfect condition my watch is a 7. Which probably wouldn’t make you happy but that doesn’t matter. It makes me happy.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I haven‘t seen many 16760 with a market value of $10.800 to begin with your flawed expertise ;)

Having experience selling all kinds of things does not make you an expert in vintage Rolex watches.

I am just having this kind of discussion to prevent others from following your advise and ending up with a cheap watch that is even too expensive on that level because of the flaws that it may have.

I can only recommend consulting experts with experience in that field BEFORE buying something.
Nobody wants to lose hundreds of Dollars on a cheap deal which is a scrap watch in the end.

And let‘s remember: every burglar is looking for watches and jewellery. Guess where all these stolen watches end up for sale?
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#119 Post by Nikita70 »

You’re the man. You know it all. I’m here to enjoy Magnum and things like that. Not argue with people who know more than anybody else.

Styles Bitchley

#120 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I haven‘t seen many 16760 with a market value of $10.800 to begin with your flawed expertise ;)

Having experience selling all kinds of things does not make you an expert in vintage Rolex watches.

I am just having this kind of discussion to prevent others from following your advise and ending up with a cheap watch that is even too expensive on that level because of the flaws that it may have.

I can only recommend consulting experts with experience in that field BEFORE buying something.
Nobody wants to lose hundreds of Dollars on a cheap deal which is a scrap watch in the end.

And let‘s remember: every burglar is looking for watches and jewellery. Guess where all these stolen watches end up for sale?
Some good points here and sage advice, but not a tone that's very welcoming for a new forum member. There aren't many of us left here in the forum compared to the old days, so let's keep the spirit of camaraderie high! It can all probably be summed up by saying, if you don't know what you're doing ask an expert you trust or buy only from a reputable dealer. You may come across an amazing deal on a watch, as Nikita says, but you could easily be getting duped. That's a gamble I think everyone knows could be there. I know that I bought my Rolex on a whim for a relatively crazy cheap price...and I was half expecting to find out it was a fake. But it wasn't! Score for me!

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#121 Post by ConchRepublican »

Nikita70 wrote:You’re the man. You know it all. I’m here to enjoy Magnum and things like that. Not argue with people who know more than anybody else.
Styles Bitchley wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:I haven‘t seen many 16760 with a market value of $10.800 to begin with your flawed expertise ;)

Some good points here and sage advice, but not a tone that's very welcoming for a new forum member. There aren't many of us left here in the forum compared to the old days, so let's keep the spirit of camaraderie high! It can all probably be summed up by saying, if you don't know what you're doing ask an expert you trust or buy only from a reputable dealer. You may come across an amazing deal on a watch, as Nikita says, but you could easily be getting duped. That's a gamble I think everyone knows could be there. I know that I bought my Rolex on a whim for a relatively crazy cheap price...and I was half expecting to find out it was a fake. But it wasn't! Score for me!
These boards are some of the most considerate on the interwebs, let's remember we're all here for the same reason and try to keep it that way. Group hug.

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by Danno »

My 40th is coming up and my wife has offered to buy me a Rolex as she knows I've been talking about them for years.
I'm leaning towards a Submariner without the date function, I like how clean and classic it is but the GMT Master is talking to me and does have the Magnum factor.

Any advice/thoughts, watch experts?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Styles Bitchley

#123 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Danno wrote:My 40th is coming up and my wife has offered to buy me a Rolex as she knows I've been talking about them for years.
I'm leaning towards a Submariner without the date function, I like how clean and classic it is but the GMT Master is talking to me and does have the Magnum factor.

Are you thinking of a vintage one, or something new? I think you should go for something that speaks to you. I love the GMT, but the Submariner is more my watch. The one without the date is slick, but I actually find it pretty useful day to day to have the date available at quick glance. You might consider the Sea Dweller also...

Here’s a good thread on the pros and cons of a date vs non date Sub I was recently reading (note these are vintage) https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=571344

That forum is incredible, actually. I’d spend some time reading what the real experts have to say about the references you’re thinking about. THe classifies section is fantastic too.

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#124 Post by ConchRepublican »

Danno wrote:My 40th is coming up and my wife has offered to buy me a Rolex as she knows I've been talking about them for years.

Good for you Danno!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by KENJI »

Thought this might interest of few of you.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olawVhNhJqw