Top 10 all-time favourite episodes

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

Re: Top 10 all-time favourite episodes

#71 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

in no particular order except the first :D

1-Home from the sea (no surprises here. Always on my mind since I was 11 )
2-China doll
3-No need to know
4-Limbo
5-Black on white
6-Operation Silent night
7-Beauty knows no pain
8-Torah torah torah
9-The arrow that is not aimed
10-The woman on the beach

and many more: try to remember, tropical madness, the legacy of garwood huddle, all thieves on deck, kapu, Atumn warrior, Laura, The ugliest dog in hawaii.......
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm truly surprised at how everyone here loves China Doll. I saw it again last week as I go through my annual series rewatch and while it has its moments, I just don't share my fellow Magnum-Mania pals' high opinion of this one.

Then again, this is coming from someone who rates The Kona Winds among his top ten. In fact, I think it's safe to say that no one in general shares my top ten to any extent, either. :wink:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#73 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:I'm truly surprised at how everyone here loves China Doll. I saw it again last week as I go through my annual series rewatch and while it has its moments, I just don't share my fellow Magnum-Mania pals' high opinion of this one.

Then again, this is coming from someone who rates The Kona Winds among his top ten. In fact, I think it's safe to say that no one in general shares my top ten to any extent, either. :wink:
Best episode ever.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by KingKC »

I am not sure if China Doll was the best episode but I am sure it was one of the, if not the, most significant episodes. I clearly remember it from 1980 because of the shocking ending. It also had suspense and violence which sells. Those things got viewer's attention and kept them coming back even with some light-hearted episodes to follow. It did me! Remarkably it did not have a lot of investigating since TM was hired to protect a vase. Personally, though, it is not in my top ten.

KIngKC

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#75 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

I missed The kona winds but not in my top ten. Maybe in my top twenty :o
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#76 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:I'm truly surprised at how everyone here loves China Doll. I saw it again last week as I go through my annual series rewatch and while it has its moments, I just don't share my fellow Magnum-Mania pals' high opinion of this one.

KingKC wrote:I am not sure if China Doll was the best episode but I am sure it was one of the, if not the, most significant episodes. I clearly remember it from 1980 because of the shocking ending. It also had suspense and violence which sells. Those things got viewer's attention and kept them coming back even with some light-hearted episodes to follow. It did me! Remarkably it did not have a lot of investigating since TM was hired to protect a vase. Personally, though, it is not in my top ten.

KIngKC
I always felt that China Doll as the first real episode after the pilot movie helped set the tone for the series.

The humor: Thomas - Hi Ho! (groan)
Mai Ling - surely you didn't think ...
Higgins - Of course he did

The bond between the guys from Rick carrying the vase to TC getting busted ribs and sharing "he blinks before he strikes"

The danger and violence potential that Magnum represents taking on the Tong, who killed a man with one strike of his hand, and blowing his head off.

All those to me meant we know who's who and what's what. No slow introductions to be unwrapped, we know who these guys are, what they mean to each other and what they can do. Only Higgins is left to grow into their circle but his character is clear, providing the yin to Magnum's yang.

Altogether a great, and possibly the most important, episode of the series.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#77 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote: I always felt that China Doll as the first real episode after the pilot movie helped set the tone for the series.

The humor: Thomas - Hi Ho! (groan)
Mai Ling - surely you didn't think ...
Higgins - Of course he did

The bond between the guys from Rick carrying the vase to TC getting busted ribs and sharing "he blinks before he strikes"

The danger and violence potential that Magnum represents taking on the Tong, who killed a man with one strike of his hand, and blowing his head off.

All those to me meant we know who's who and what's what. No slow introductions to be unwrapped, we know who these guys are, what they mean to each other and what they can do. Only Higgins is left to grow into their circle but his character is clear, providing the yin to Magnum's yang.

Altogether a great, and possibly the most important, episode of the series.
What he said.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

UHmanoa-guy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#78 Post by UHmanoa-guy »

Hey MPI fans. Yeah MPI and Cheers are my 2 favorite 1980's series. Anyways, I'll get to my list.

*This was extremely difficult as like most others on here, there are just way too many great episodes in the series it makes this really difficult to limit to 10. In no particular order:

Home from Sea

No Need To Know

Tropical Madness

Did You See The Sunrise?

I Witness

Death and Taxes

Laura

Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii

The Jororo Kill

J Digger Doyle

I see my favorites are very similar to a lot of others on here. I guess that just goes to show that a lot of us agree on what the strongest episodes of the series were. Like I said I have so many other favorites, but for me these 10 stand out a little more than others.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#79 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ConchRepublican wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:I haven't completed watching the series in it's entirety yet, but here's what I come up with ~

1 - Limbo
2 - China Doll
3 - Home From the Sea
4 - J "Digger" Doyle
5 - Did You See the Sunrise?
6 - Death and Taxes
7 - Black on White
8 - Never Again ... Never Again
9 - The Jororo Kill
10 - Paper War
Wow . . . picking only 10 is tough . . .
I have changed a little in the last 5+ years
1 - Limbo
2 - China Doll
3 - Home From the Sea
4 - J "Digger" Doyle
6 - Death and Taxes
7 - Lest We Forget
8 - Little Girl Who
9 - Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii
10 - Black on White
Still way too hard . . .
Hi Conch,
Terrific list, I can't disagree with any episode on it. I'd be interested, if you would, in what you feel are the worst episodes.
Thanking you in advance.
Dobie

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Re:

#80 Post by ConchRepublican »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:I haven't completed watching the series in it's entirety yet, but here's what I come up with ~

1 - Limbo
2 - China Doll
3 - Home From the Sea
4 - J "Digger" Doyle
6 - Death and Taxes
7 - Black on White
8 - Never Again ... Never Again
9 - The Jororo Kill
10 - Paper War
Wow . . . picking only 10 is tough . . .
I have changed a little in the last 5+ years
1 - Limbo
2 - China Doll
3 - Home From the Sea
4 - J "Digger" Doyle
6 - Death and Taxes
7 - Lest We Forget
8 - Little Girl Who
9 - Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii
10 - Black on White
Still way too hard . . .
Hi Conch,
Terrific list, I can't disagree with any episode on it. I'd be interested, if you would, in what you feel are the worst episodes.
Thanking you in advance.
Dobie
Thanks Dobie!

That's tough as I hate to focus on the negative when it comes to my all time favorite show.

That said, the only episode I had to turn off, and have never seen fully through, is Kiss of the Sabre. There's something about that episode that just struck me wrong right away. I also didn't care for Kona Winds, I don't think the actions are true to the character.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Little Garwood »

1. Memories are Forever (2)
2. Ki'i's Don't Lie (3)
3. Did You See the Sun Rise? (3)
4. The Return of Luther Gillis (4)
5. The Case of the Red Faced Thespian (4)
6. No Need to Know (1)
7. Mac's Back (5)
8. The Kona Winds (6)
9. The Hotel Dick (6)
10. Faith and Begorrah (3)
Somehow I've got to work Little Games (season five) into my top ten. Gah!

I suppose I'll just have to be content having it hover at #11...
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by eagle »

3. Did You See the Sun Rise? (3)
I just watched this episode last night, and it is definitely one of the best.

Turkey
Admiral

#83 Post by Turkey »

Still at 15!

Will make some cuts and list a few that just missed out. In no particular order:

Mad Buck Gibson
Black on White
Death and Taxes
Did you see the Sunrise?
Home from the Sea
Little Girl Who
Operation Silent Night
A Sense of Debt
Lest We Forget
Of Sound Mind

And a few that were really close:

Flashback
Laura
Double Jeopardy
Woman on the Beach
Wave Goodbye

That was tough but definitely fun to compile :)
Make it two weeks.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by KingKC »

My favorite episodes never seem to stay at ten. The list just seems to keep growing. Every time I see a rerun of an episode that I really liked but isn't in my Top 10 my Top 10 becomes my Top 15....then my Top 20...you get the picture. LOL. I bet there are at least a few more of you out there that have this problem.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by 308GUY »

KingKC wrote:My favorite episodes never seem to stay at ten. The list just seems to keep growing. Every time I see a rerun of an episode that I really liked but isn't in my Top 10 my Top 10 becomes my Top 15....then my Top 20...you get the picture. LOL. I bet there are at least a few more of you out there that have this problem.
Quoted for truth and empathy. Same thing happens to me.

Can't really pin it down to just 10 episodes.

There seems to be "something" in ALMOST every episode that makes it hard to leave off a top 10 list.

Granted there are some "clunkers" (Smaller Than Life comes to mind) but even they have at least one or two "moments" or scenes/quirks that make them stand out as possible "favorites".

Guess that's why MPI is one of my all time favorite shows...... :magnum:

One of these years, I may actually try to pin it down to 10 absolute favorites, but I don't see it happening anytime soon! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"