chronosport sea quartz 30

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

powellc002200
Ensign

Re: chronosport sea quartz 30

#21 Post by powellc002200 »

Folks - I'm new to this forum having found it while researching the Chronosport watch that Magnum was wearing. I actually met Tom Selleck several times while living in Hawaii and working in a Honolulu restaurant where he was a frequent guest, both before and after the show aired. Really a nice guy and completely unassuming, even after he was famous and we would have to station a host near his table to keep autograph hounds away while he was dining.

Anyway, I lived in Hawaii for 28 years in total starting in 1976. I got into diving in 1979 and bought a Chronosport Sea Quartz watch which I used for two years as a part-time scuba charter guide. At that time I noticed that Tom wore the same watch on the show and off but didn't think about it too much once I left the restaurant business and stopped diving regularly. I stored the watch away in a drawer for 35 years and just pulled it out to sell on ebay along with other stuff I wanted to get rid of.

So, I am going to be getting a new battery installed and having it checked out to make sure everything is in working condition. If anyone is interested in having the same model watch that Magnum wore, this is the original Swiss Made Chronosport model that just says "Quartz" on the face. I understand that in 1982 they changed the face to say "Sea Quartz 30" but it is the same watch and has number 23501 on the back of the case.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: chronosport sea quartz 30

#22 Post by Styles Bitchley »

powellc002200 wrote:Folks - I'm new to this forum having found it while researching the Chronosport watch that Magnum was wearing. I actually met Tom Selleck several times while living in Hawaii and working in a Honolulu restaurant where he was a frequent guest, both before and after the show aired. Really a nice guy and completely unassuming, even after he was famous and we would have to station a host near his table to keep autograph hounds away while he was dining.

Anyway, I lived in Hawaii for 28 years in total starting in 1976. I got into diving in 1979 and bought a Chronosport Sea Quartz watch which I used for two years as a part-time scuba charter guide. At that time I noticed that Tom wore the same watch on the show and off but didn't think about it too much once I left the restaurant business and stopped diving regularly. I stored the watch away in a drawer for 35 years and just pulled it out to sell on ebay along with other stuff I wanted to get rid of.

So, I am going to be getting a new battery installed and having it checked out to make sure everything is in working condition. If anyone is interested in having the same model watch that Magnum wore, this is the original Swiss Made Chronosport model that just says "Quartz" on the face. I understand that in 1982 they changed the face to say "Sea Quartz 30" but it is the same watch and has number 23501 on the back of the case.
Great story and nice to see the Selleck connection with you and your watch. I'm not in the market, but thanks for sharing - and be sure to post a link to the ebay listing if you put it there. You never know...it might be irresistible!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.