Being a WW2 vet, would Higgins really drive an Audi?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Would Higgins have driven an Audi in real life?

Yes
90%
No
3%
Heck No
8%

Total votes: 39

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Being a WW2 vet, would Higgins really drive an Audi?

#16 Post by K Hale »

Well, they had Rick driving a Mercedes. Can't have too many of the same thing, I guess!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I don't think Higgins would have a problem driving an Audi. I think it's nearly the perfect car for him - classy without being showy, solidly built and reliable. It's not British though and the Jaguar he drove in the 70's (1976 flashback in the episode "Holmes is Where the Heart Is") probably suited him more, but by the late 70's/early 80's Jaguar had lots of reliability problems.

The thing is - these were Robin Master's cars, not Higgins'. So the question is: Would Robin Masters really drive an Audi? I'd say no. He'd want something flashy like a Rolls Royce - like the one destroyed by Mad Buck. My theory is... after Mad Buck destroyed the Rolls, Robin Masters told Higgins to buy something appropriate for his duties at the estate. Robin didn't really spend much time in Hawaii, so he didn't need a nice car for himself. Higgins chose a sensible, reliable, classy but not too expensive car.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by K Hale »

Totally concur. And that begs the question... who picked out the Ferrari? :wink:

We never see Robin drive it or even ask about it; Higgins is very protective of it, prefers it parked in the driveway but occasionally drives it himself with obvious enjoyment...

It must cost a ton to import a car like that to Hawaii. :shock:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I'd say Robin Masters started buying Ferraris years earlier - the kind of car a successful young playboy-like writer would get to impress the chicks. By the late 70's, he had become older and fatter, more interested in being comfortably chauffeured around than driving himself. He still got the latest Ferrari out of habit, but left it at the estate as a showoff/toy for guests and eventually as incentive for Magnum to stay as live-in security.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by K Hale »

Also it did occur to me that Higgins does own German dogs. Why not a German car?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Marcus the Lifeguard
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by Marcus the Lifeguard »

My dad fought in the Battle of the Buldge, was awarded a Silver Star, and liberated a concentration camp. Like General Patton, he thought after the surrender we should have allied with the Germans and taken care of the Russians. I think there was a certain respect for the German soldier and technology. After the war he owned a German Shepherd and over the years a few volkswagens bugs. Apparently, he also had an Austrian girlfriend he was so supposed to go back for. Lucky for me he never did.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Steve »

Marcus the Lifeguard wrote:My dad fought in the Battle of the Buldge, was awarded a Silver Star, and liberated a concentration camp. Like General Patton, he thought after the surrender we should have allied with the Germans and taken care of the Russians. I think there was a certain respect for the German soldier and technology. After the war he owned a German Shepherd and over the years a few volkswagens bugs. Apparently, he also had an Austrian girlfriend he was so supposed to go back for. Lucky for me he never did.
Great story, another one of the "Greatest Generation".....My father was a fighter pilot and always said the true heroes were on the ground.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve wrote:
Marcus the Lifeguard wrote:My dad fought in the Battle of the Buldge, was awarded a Silver Star, and liberated a concentration camp. Like General Patton, he thought after the surrender we should have allied with the Germans and taken care of the Russians. I think there was a certain respect for the German soldier and technology. After the war he owned a German Shepherd and over the years a few volkswagens bugs. Apparently, he also had an Austrian girlfriend he was so supposed to go back for. Lucky for me he never did.
Great story, another one of the "Greatest Generation".....My father was a fighter pilot and always said the true heroes were on the ground.
Marcus's Dad and Patton should be respected for their service but the idea that we should have attacked the Soviet Union in 1945 is insanity and wasn't doable in any event.
You can be a serving soldier and not have the vaguest grasp of Geo Politics and history and the big picture. The Soviet army was the world's largest by then and while facing over 80% of the Axis forces had reduced them to a ruin, learning the Art of Blitzkrieg thru payment in blood. It had legendary generals like Zhukov(the Russian Patton), winner of the greatest armor battle in history at Kursk. Their T-34 tank was superior to the Sherman. That said, we supplied most of their food(spam) and aviation fuel and the trucks(plus train engines and rolling stock) that enabled them to launch their great counter offensives while we were building our armies from scratch. In other words, 20 million Soviets died (buying us time to build up our tiny army)killing Nazis who other wise would have been available to fight the Western Allies, perhaps killing my Dad and 5 uncles as well as Marcus's and Steve's Dad.
As odd as it may sound, the monster Stalin had a sort of moral edge over the Allies when he constantly threw up to us how much the USSR had paid in people, and in one third of its total national wealth.
No GI who somehow lived thru a world war after 4 long years away from home wanted to start a new war against an opponent who would have inflicted far more casualties than Germany did. Our guys wanted to go home, period.
Our Allies would certainly not have helped us either, nobody wanted more slaughter, Europe was a basket case.
Patton was not a plaster saint but a deeply flawed human being who happened to be a great general. His long affair with his niece was so tawdry and foul all mention was deleted from the movie.
Patton's advocating for a war against 'dem commies' in 1945 in the movie Patton wasn't meant to get the viewer to stand up and cheer Patton's sage leadership, but to illustrate his downright bloodthirsty nuttiness.
As soon as the last shot was fired in 1945 they should have sent him home to a NYC ticker tape parade, have the president honor him with more decorations and then retire him.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by MHTR »

Re. Patton: The affair was alleged (never confirmed), and it was said to have been with a niece by marriage, just to be clear since both those points weren't mentioned.
Last edited by MHTR on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by K Hale »

This thread has certainly escalated. :shock:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MHTR wrote:Re. Patton: The affair was alleged (never confirmed), and it was said to have been with a niece by marriage, just to be clear since both those points weren't mentioned.
Hi MHTR,
Well actually the affair with Jean Gordon is pretty much established fact despite the unending efforts of the Patton apologists.
Two weeks after Patton's death the grief stricken Gordon killed herself surrounded by photos of her ever loving uncle.
Niece "by marriage," so it might be argued by some it doesn't count? (she was in fact the daughter of Patton's sister)
I am sure you don't mean that lessens what a sick thing it is Patton did.
One can't ignore the fact that Patton would have known Jean since birth, watched her bloom in her teen years and and when she hit 17 was so overcome by lust that
the Bible beating hypocrite just had to bed his sister's child.
17, that's a junior in High School, what did he do, rendezvous with her at the bike racks or at Louie's Sweet Shop for malteds?
MHTR, I bet if you reflect on it a bit more you might not want to give Patton the benefit of the doubt.
Because of his own inner demons he eventually caused a young woman to kill herself at the age of 31 after 14 years as his mistress.
How much better if he had never seduced/preyed on her and kept her from meeting/marrying a decent man.
This thread started out wondering if Higgins would have ethical problems driving an Audi, there is no wondering how'd he react to Patton's transgressions.
Magnum, TC and Rick as well.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by K Hale »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: This thread started out wondering if Higgins would have ethical problems driving an Audi, there is no wondering how'd he react to Patton's transgressions.
Magnum, TC and Rick as well.
Indeed. He would also have ethical problems shooting Ivan. Everybody draws the line somewhere different...
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#28 Post by MHTR »

[offtopic]
First off, I am not a Patton apologist, and this was the first time I ever heard of this. But you're still wrong about one point. According to both Patton's and Jean Gordon's Wikipedia site, it was a niece by marriage on Patton's wife's side (yes I know that Wikipedia is not exactly a credible source). Jean was the daughter of Patton's wife's sister, not Patton's sister. In your version Patton would not only be guilty of adultery but also of incest which most people would say is way worse. And no I'm not making light of the adultery (if it did happen) by pointing this out. So did it happen? I don't know, I wasn't there. One can say that it probably did though, especially in this day and age when everybody is guilty until proven innocent.
[/offtopic]

Now, back on topic. I don't think Higgins would have a problem driving an Audi. Peace. :higgins:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MHTR wrote:[offtopic]
First off, I am not a Patton apologist, and this was the first time I ever heard of this. But you're still wrong about one point. According to both Patton's and Jean Gordon's Wikipedia site, it was a niece by marriage on Patton's wife's side (yes I know that Wikipedia is not exactly a credible source). Jean was the daughter of Patton's wife's sister, not Patton's sister. In your version Patton would not only be guilty of adultery but also of incest which most people would say is way worse. And no I'm not making light of the adultery (if it did happen) by pointing this out. So did it happen? I don't know, I wasn't there. One can say that it probably did though, especially in this day and age when everybody is guilty until proven innocent.
[/offtopic]
Now, back on topic. I don't think Higgins would have a problem driving an Audi. Peace. :higgins:
MHTR,
I did not call you an apologist, I referred to Patton apologists. RE the niece's blood ties, I checked with my buddy at a war college and he agrees with you, Mea Culpa.
Patton's prey was his wife's blood niece. An uncle is an uncle to a child regardless. I had 14 aunts by marriage, never thought of them as anything but kin and if one had tried to seduce me as a teen I would have been horrified, and sorry but that is incest.
Patton was 47 when he started seducing a 17 year school kid, that is creepy.
The standard of "I don't know, I wasn't there" or for some others "if its not on film there is no proof", doesn't wash. In the small pre war army with it's insular officer class it was an open secret(some historians speculate it also might explain why Patton never got the Army Group command - from a highly moral George Marshall - he had earned) as Mrs. Patton had public rows with her niece over the Great Man and in many letters to Patton complained to him so much that he told friends in post war Germany he would rather stay there as his wife was giving him hell over his mistress.
You might want to check into the details of his mistress' suicide ,surrounded by his photos. If I recall correctly from a C-SPAN WW 2 forum didn't the niece taunt her aunt in the note by telling her she was now with Patton in heaven?
I could research that but I suspect like me, you are weary of and have better things to do than wallow in the sins of a long ago affair.
For my part I do confess I get overly angry when a moral slob's indiscretions routinely get discarded and ignored by such as the History Channel.
Patton had earned honors enough for any 10 men but his dark side should be recognized too and not swept under the rug.
I don't think Higgins would have cared for Black Jack Pershing and Fighting Joe Hooker's hobbies either but lets let sleeping dogs lie on that one.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by K Hale »

I don't either, but let's also not forget that he was great friends with Rick, who had an affair with a married woman. To say nothing of his own father's multiple affairs. JQH was certainly forgiving of people's faults if they had other redeeming features. The full measure of a man and all that.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!