What beer did they drink on the show?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kimbosan
Captain

What beer did they drink on the show?

#1 Post by Kimbosan »

Does anyone know what beer that drank on the show?

Kimbosan
Kimbosan

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

G'DAY, and welcome to Magnum-Mania, The world authority on all things Magnum, P.I. Here you will find out everything you ever wanted to know, and more about the greatest television show ever made. We have video clips, photos, detailed episode synopsis, and much much more! Our 370+ member forum is home to some of the most friendly and knowledgable Magnum fans from all over the world. So sit back, open an Old Dusseldorf, unwrap a Macho Taco, and enjoy.

There were several beers featured in the show, all were fictional brands. Most common was "Coops" served in a cleverly disguised Coors Long neck Bottle. Magnum's favorite beer was Old Dusseldorf, also in a long neck, but very difficult to find in the islands. Old Dusseldorf was a traditional old German beer brewed in Maryland. There was also "Tiller" and "Flagler" beers which appeared only, in the episodes "Skin Deep" and "Distant Reletive". Lastly, and the most common after "Coops" was simply called "Beer".
Last edited by N1095A on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#3 Post by Italian Ice »

Beer also goes good with sushi :)
Ahi Sushi delivers very late into the night!
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Coops was the favorite! Old Dusseldorf was a special occasion beer for Magnum. Mike I think the others you mentioned were probably the daily special at the bar. If marketing was then what it is today we no doubt would've had a Coops beer on the market.

N1095A

#5 Post by N1095A »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Coops was the favorite! Old Dusseldorf was a special occasion beer for Magnum. Mike I think the others you mentioned were probably the daily special at the bar. If marketing was then what it is today we no doubt would've had a Coops beer on the market.
Ah, we're in kind of a gray area there :lol: . I suppose if he always drank Old Dusseldorf, it wouldn't be special to him. That combined with the fact that only one store on Oahu carried it, and that was on the other side of the island made it special. Pity we never saw a label.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by lutherhgillis »

The gold label that said "Coops" was modeled afeter the old Coors style of label which was the same ugly gold color and almost identical scrpit writing. The later seasons use the long neck with "Beer" in script wich was a copy of the newer style of Coors label. I take it that someone connected with the show must have been a Coors fan.

Coors had a rule that it would not be sold east of the Mississippi River for a number of years. Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s they began to sell it everywhere. The label changed sometime in the mid 80s.

Cheers.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree Mike. I wish they had shown us the label. I do imagine he would've drank Old Dusseldorf more hand it been easier to get. Makes you wonder why the KKC couldn't keep some stocked?

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#8 Post by Agatha »

For Magnum, IKnowWhatYou'reThinking? Why, he's not even a member!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

N1095A

#9 Post by N1095A »

Agatha wrote:For Magnum, IKnowWhatYou'reThinking? Why, he's not even a member!!

I can't help but think Higgins would have something to say about that. If for no other reason, to annoy TM.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'm sure Rick could've found a way to got ahold of some and claim a member requested it. Just a theory.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#11 Post by Agatha »

And you're right, of course, IKnowWhatYou'reThinking. It's just that when I read your post I "heard" Higgins in my head.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Agatha, I'm sure Higgins would've found out the beer was for Magnum and bribed Rick into doing some type of charity work in order to keep his job.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#13 Post by Agatha »

Ahhhh. So you know Higgins pretty well, too!!

Kimbosan
Captain

#14 Post by Kimbosan »

G'day Guys....I drink Emu Bitter down under, strewth I didn’t think it was a fake beer label, my dreams of finding the very rare Coops beer has vaporised or should that be evaporated....oh well ill just rip the top off another tinnie and turn the chops over on the barby...and watch the sun set over the Indian Ocean here in Perth...

Kimbo..
Kimbosan

N1095A

#15 Post by N1095A »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Agatha, I'm sure Higgins would've found out the beer was for Magnum and bribed Rick into doing some type of charity work in order to keep his job.
I think "Blackmail" would be the more his style :lol:.