A 2018 Reboot

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Re: A 2018 Reboot

#1 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

You’re right about Higgins Conch. They’ll want sexual tension from the get go. As for the lead; I’m sure his mom loves him and he’s kind to kittens, but he seems indistinguishable from any other males in these police procedurals. He might have made a good Rick. Are there any men in Hollywood over 5’9”, 160lbs? I watched an interview years ago with Shawn Ryan. He was a creator/producer on The Shield and Last Resort among others. He said there were so many English and Australian actors in Hollywood because males with underlying masculinity were frozen out on the way up the ladder in Hollywood. He cast a lot of foreigners as Americans because they still had a roughness to them he couldn’t find in American actors.
Faith and Begorrah!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:You’re right about Higgins Conch. They’ll want sexual tension from the get go. As for the lead; I’m sure his mom loves him and he’s kind to kittens, but he seems indistinguishable from any other males in these police procedurals. He might have made a good Rick. Are there any men in Hollywood over 5’9”, 160lbs? I watched an interview years ago with Shawn Ryan. He was a creator/producer on The Shield and Last Resort among others. He said there were so many English and Australian actors in Hollywood because males with underlying masculinity were frozen out on the way up the ladder in Hollywood. He cast a lot of foreigners as Americans because they still had a roughness to them he couldn’t find in American actors.
That explains a lot about the casting in Sons of Anarchy.

it's a sad state of things when American men are lacking in the masculinity category.

"Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio . . ."
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Kevster »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:You’re right about Higgins Conch. They’ll want sexual tension from the get go. As for the lead; I’m sure his mom loves him and he’s kind to kittens, but he seems indistinguishable from any other males in these police procedurals. He might have made a good Rick. Are there any men in Hollywood over 5’9”, 160lbs? I watched an interview years ago with Shawn Ryan. He was a creator/producer on The Shield and Last Resort among others. He said there were so many English and Australian actors in Hollywood because males with underlying masculinity were frozen out on the way up the ladder in Hollywood. He cast a lot of foreigners as Americans because they still had a roughness to them he couldn’t find in American actors.
Yeah, I noted how short he was too.

I guess they'll figure out that magic requires correctly identifying what works and what doesn't. A runt of a guy is not able to pull off physical intimidation unless he's facing off with an actor the size of a young child. The guy can't exude the "gentle giant" quality of TS when he is the size of a typical high school freshman band geek. I'm talking woodwind player geeks, not the oversized tuba player type...

Have I offended enough people yet? LOL...

Most hit shows seem unable to evolve much as it tanks the magic. I believe this is because they can't correctly identify what actually works about most shows. Magnum PI would have been a couple season show without JH as a foil. The action entertained, but the heart endeared.

Walking Dead has been blowing snot bubbles for several seasons because they've gotten too formulaic. Police procedurals are cookie cutter... The few shows that rise above the fray in that genre are because they go to a different well than the typical play callers in Hollywood, and find something universally relatable. NOT OFTEN THOUGH.

I think they'll miss the heart completely with the reboot, and it will fall right on its face... "SPLAT"

Maybe we'll get lucky and the top brass will pull the plug before it airs like they did with the Beverly Hills Cop show several years ago. One can only hope...
Trust Me!!!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Maybe we'll get lucky and the top brass will pull the plug before it airs like they did with the Beverly Hills Cop show several years ago. One can only hope...
Speaking of the top brass, Les Moonves has been friends with Tom Selleck since they were in drama classes together in the 1960's. Les can't really look at that guy (Hernandez) and think Magnum can he? :roll:

I'm kind of curious about the Cagney & Lacey reboot. I haven't seen any casting news, but I can see CBS taking a chance on a show with two female leads considering current gender issues. I think they only have one drama with a women lead now and I doubt they pick up two reboots in the same season. So I think our best bet is to hope for C&L to appeal to the execs who are concerned about keeping things PC. Just think of all the "ripped from the headlines" type stuff they could do with two women cops! :wink: For the record, I never watched the original C&L so I don't really have an opinion on the old or a possible new show.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Kevster »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Speaking of the top brass, Les Moonves has been friends with Tom Selleck since they were in drama classes together in the 1960's. Les can't really look at that guy (Hernandez) and think Magnum can he? :roll:

I'm kind of curious about the Cagney & Lacey reboot. I haven't seen any casting news, but I can see CBS taking a chance on a show with two female leads considering current gender issues. I think they only have one drama with a women lead now and I doubt they pick up two reboots in the same season. So I think our best bet is to hope for C&L to appeal to the execs who are concerned about keeping things PC. Just think of all the "ripped from the headlines" type stuff they could do with two women cops! :wink: For the record, I never watched the original C&L so I don't really have an opinion on the old or a possible new show.
Ditto. Basic cop shows never appealed to me, and that included C&L.

My father watched a couple of them back then. Hunter, for one.

The array PI shows were watched if sports weren't on... ;-)
Trust Me!!!

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by Bat22 »

I think the race-bending will get under a lot of people's skins, even if they're barely periphery Magnum fans, but I don't think it's a cause of concern. They could've cast a number of Caucasian actors and they'd still be compared unfavorably to TS. To his advantage, JS has youthful looks but he just turned "Forty", so it's possible that he can provide both TM's immaturity and gravitas.

I'm more ambivalent about Higgins' gender-bending. It would certainly set the reboot apart from the original if there's some sexual or maternal overtones between her and TM... ah, man. :|

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#7 Post by ConchRepublican »

Welcome Bat22!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by Bat22 »

Thank you! :D

Rands
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by Rands »

Well, let us hope, that the production of the reboot, will be done with the same quality that the original was done in.

I too have concerns as to whether the casting will include the chemistry of the original cast, that did seem to work so well together. I certainly would like to see numerous elements of the original series continued into the new. I would like to see the continuation of the Ferrari make vehicle, along with a high end euro sedan for Higgins, and a Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban for the Estate use. Of course using Pahonu as Robin's Nest would be ideal. For all those members, who have fortunate enough to see the beautiful beach at the "Estate", it may be very difficult to find a more beautiful location to enjoy. The classic use of Spanish Colonial is truly remarkable, and for those of us who have vacationed at the Ko' Olina can say. The only eyesore in that beautiful resort is Disney's rendition of Polynesian architecture. Sorry, no meaning to offend.

The lack of a pool at the Estate is no never mind to me. My wife and I vacation every year at the Ko' Olina (Marriott Beach Club), and after over ten years of ownership, I have yet to enter one of the pools. How could you, when the beautiful Pacific, with clean sand, beckons? Clean beautiful water, with no chemicals. To me, no problem. I live very close to member Pahonu, and neither my wife nor I use the beaches or water here in Surf City USA. The beaches aren't nearly as clean as those in Hawaii. I know several members have voiced their opinions of a pool being adorned by the fairer sex. For all of those old enough to remember the series Matt Houston, his pool was frequently adorned with them. One in fact, the pretty blonde "Donna", grew up down the street from me. She was far more beautiful than the camera could show. However, the principle character of the show, was the interaction of Magnum, Higgins, TC, and Rick. I have the greatest confidence that the producers, directors, and others, will be able to find numerous beautiful women there in Hawaii, to adorn whatever location being filmed.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

A 2018 Reboot

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Created new Magnum P.I. Reboot category; Moved this thread from its original location.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!